Info on Blaze King BX24 Boxer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nugen

Sep 8, 2018
Ottawa, Canada
Hello all,

I'm looking for feedback and info on the Blaze King Bx24 Boxer - or Blaze King in general. I love the large glass and efficiency but I want some feedback if this is in fact an excellent manufacturer and model.... as it is quite a bit of coin... and I'm just trying to confirm I'll not be sorry with this purchase.

We are looking to heat 1300 sq foot cottage just on a seasonal casual basis when were up on weekends etc.

I HAVE searched and searched this forum and I can't seem to find any info, ratings, or reviews for this stove, so I wanted to register an account and get some feedback on this.

Thanks,

Mike

Hello all,

I'm looking for feedback and info on the Blaze King Bx24 Boxer - or Blaze King in general. I love the large glass and efficiency but I want some feedback if this is in fact an excellent manufacturer and model.... as it is quite a bit of coin... and I'm just trying to confirm I'll not be sorry with this purchase.

We are looking to heat 1300 sq foot cottage just on a seasonal casual basis when were up on weekends etc.

I HAVE searched and searched this forum and I can't seem to find any info, ratings, or reviews for this stove, so I wanted to register an account and get some feedback on this.

Thanks,

Mike
Blaze king is a very good manufacturer without a doubt. They make probably the best cat stoves on the market. As far as the boxer goes it is a new stove so you wont find reveiws yet. My thought though is that for the way you will be using it is may not be the best fit. With an occasional use cabin you will be coming in and pushing the stove hard to get the place up to temp. Cat stoves are much better at long slow burns. If you were going to be there full time i would say it would be a great fit. For your needs it will work but i think you could pay less for a tube stove that would do the job very well for you.

I stand to be corrected, but I am pretty sure the BX 24 is the same innards as the BK 25 fireplace inserts. IIRC once the firebox was through EPA certification they put one skin on it as the Ashford 25 fireplace insert, another as Sirocco 25 insert... any of the inserts with 25 in the model number..

Same firebox and combustor and fan kit and EPA certification, packaged as a freestander, presto, Boxer 24.

There are plenty of reviews of the Ashford 25 insert here. AFAIK no registered here user has a BX24 yet. I did ask the wife for a BX24 for Christmas last year. Sort of tongue in cheek, it's pretty high dollar for a Christmas gift. I didn't get one, but I did go look one over pretty hard at the store.

When I looked at the store the interior was the same brick pattern and combustor placement as a nearby size 25 insert.

No drain plug for ash removal. Can't fit them in fireplace inserts, would be a separate EPA test (another million dollars) to certify the firebox again.

Odd shaped (insert) firebox, sides go straight back a few inches and then taper towards the back, so the back wall isn't nearly as wide as the front.

I think these are the 2 biggest issues with the BX24.

On the plus side it should be a lot of stove for the price and run very efficiently. I still want one for my shop.

I am not too worried about the lack of a floor drain; the belly of the stove,(vertical distance from door lip to floor place) is fairly shallow, shoveling out ashes shouldn't be too horrible. It was after all designed with the knowledge ashes would have to be shoveled out.

I think dealing with the odd shaped firebox will have a little bit of learning curve to it, but not bad. For my first season I will learn to load it with 16" splits and only look for odd sized fuel if I couldn't make 16s work. I think I could make 16s work just fine.

I would be likely to cut a select few 16" splits in half, making two 8" splits sized to stand vertically in the wider parts of the front firebox right and left., but I don't anticipate needing to cram that much fuel in the box very often.

I think most of the time it would be fine to rake the hot coals to the front corners, load 16" splits in the middle of the box floor to ceiling with the end grain showing, maybe wrangle some hot coals towards the middle in front of the fresh fuel, then one or maybe two splits in front of the main load with edge grain showing, close the door and carry on.

I agree with @bholler this may not be the best choice for an occasional use cabin. If you were living in the cabin full time with locale appropriate insulation and air sealing I think the BX 24 would be hard to beat.

In general cat stoves shine at cranking out steady heat for hours and hours and hours. If you want to rip through a firebox full quickly to bring a cold space up to a comfortable temp in a hurry a tube type or similar stove might better meet your needs. The Englander NC-30 for instance gets a lot of positive reviews here, I haven't read as much about the smaller NC-13.

The great big unknown elephant on the carpet in the stove room is how good the BX 24 does at getting radiant heat through all that glass into a cold cabin at cold start. We just don't know, here, because no one has posted up. Better than any other similar sized cat stove on the market, probably. As good a similar well made tube stove, probably not. Where in that gap the BX24 will plant a pole is still unknown.

I think I will put a BX 24 on my Christmas list again this year.

Reactions: bholler
During the initial cabin warm up the cat stove is no better than a good noncat. You’ll be running both flat out to heat it up. Noncat stoves can be cheap and perform well at this stage.

But then, you’ll have a small 1300 sf cottage that you want to keep warm and that is where a smaller cat stove will be superior. This is because only a cat stove can be throttled down low enough to not overheat the place while also burning 20-30 hours on each load.

The boxer 24 is not the bk I would choose.

Reactions: Ashful
During the initial cabin warm up the cat stove is no better than a good noncat. You’ll be running both flat out to heat it up. Noncat stoves can be cheap and perform well at this stage.

But then, you’ll have a small 1300 sf cottage that you want to keep warm and that is where a smaller cat stove will be superior. This is because only a cat stove can be throttled down low enough to not overheat the place while also burning 20-30 hours on each load.

The boxer 24 is not the bk I would choose.
It all depends on how long they will be there. If it will just be the weekend i dont see there will be much benifit from a cat. If they will be there for a week at a time typically then yes i think it would be worth it.

It all depends on how long they will be there. If it will just be the weekend i dont see there will be much benifit from a cat. If they will be there for a week at a time typically then yes i think it would be worth it.

Worth “it”?

If you mean purchase price then yes there are some cheap noncat stoves. I own one and it works well. But you can also buy noncats that cost much more than cat stoves. My previous noncats were much more expensive than a cat stove from Woodstock, the other leader in cat stove technology at the moment.

If by “worth it” you mean using dry fuel, well, all stoves need dry fuel.

Heating small spaces with a noncat has challenges. These modern noncat stoves aren’t able to burn at low outputs and if you want it to burn through the night then you can end up with an oversized stove and too much heat.

Worth “it”?

If you mean purchase price then yes there are some cheap noncat stoves. I own one and it works well. But you can also buy noncats that cost much more than cat stoves. My previous noncats were much more expensive than a cat stove from Woodstock, the other leader in cat stove technology at the moment.

If by “worth it” you mean using dry fuel, well, all stoves need dry fuel.

Heating small spaces with a noncat has challenges. These modern noncat stoves aren’t able to burn at low outputs and if you want it to burn through the night then you can end up with an oversized stove and too much heat.
I mean worth it in all aspects. There are clear benifits of cat stoves if much of your burning will be low and slow. But if most of your burning will be hard to bring a cold c as bin up to temp then i dont see that spending extra money initially and spending more for maintenance makes much sense. That is my opinion you may not like it but it is based on years of experience in the field talking to many hundreds of customers heating many different spaces with different stoves.

Another big factor is if there is another source of heat there. If the place is going to be kept at say 50 degrees with some other heat source it will take much less time to bring it up. In which case a cat makes more sense

As someone who actually owns both types, none of those “issues” are real. Both types work great at high output but only the cat stove has such a wide range of outputs.

Be careful about second hand opinions or opinions from people that have no actual experience. I ate snails earlier this month at a fancy restaurant. Sometimes the only way to find out is to try it yourself or to actually talk to someone with experience.

We should do another cat vs. noncat thread. It’s about that time of year.
Why is it you feel that your opinion based on your experiences is the only one that matters? From the start on this thread i said bk stoves were great but i thought they may not be the best fit for this situation depending on the circumstances. That is my opinion based on talking with many many people who have first hand experience.

I am not sure why you feel that working on and talking with the operators of hundreds of stoves a year doesnt count as experience. It absolutely is not the same as running each stove but it gives me input on how they work in many different situations. Including medium sized cabins like the one in question. I also have first hand experience with 2 similarly sized cabins my sister's and friend's both of which i spend a couple weekends at each winter.

Reactions: Ashful
Thanks for all the great feedback! The first posts we’re great direction but if cat stoves do just as good a job at pumping out the heat that is mainly what I’ll need

I do have baseboards so we can turn them on to heat up other rooms but weekend warriors is mainly what we will need the stove for.

I think the three models suggested were

The BK 24
Napoleons S4
Regency F4000

Now I feel I’m a bit back to the drawing board but keep the cat non cat discussion going! I just want the right stove and don’t want to regret the decision.

Thanks again

Mike

Reactions: bholler
Did you mean the Regency F2400? I don't think they make an F4000.

In this circumstance the value of a cat stove is diminished. I would lean toward the non-cat.

Well, Ottawa is kinda in the north country. I doubt you have an air door test to quantify air leaks. What is the wall thickness? 2x4? 2x6? Metric? Fiberglass batt insulation? Was it insulated by a crew drinking beer while they worked, or after they insulated?

If you are on 2x6 construction with fiberglass batt installed by sober crew and have pretty good windows...

Looking at just sqft and location to pick a stove is just the tip of the iceberg. The total performance of your insulation envelope matters. Indoor plumbing, or does everyone have to open and close the entry door, twice, to go pee? A bunch of windows salvaged from the dump, or just two high end triple pane argon filled units?

Well, Ottawa is kinda in the north country. I doubt you have an air door test to quantify air leaks. What is the wall thickness? 2x4? 2x6? Metric? Fiberglass batt insulation? Was it insulated by a crew drinking beer while they worked, or after they insulated?

If you are on 2x6 construction with fiberglass batt installed by sober crew and have pretty good windows...

Looking at just sqft and location to pick a stove is just the tip of the iceberg. The total performance of your insulation envelope matters. Indoor plumbing, or does everyone have to open and close the entry door, twice, to go pee? A bunch of windows salvaged from the dump, or just two high end triple pane argon filled units?

I am trying to picture this cabin in my head......

Wasted crew slapping it together with dump salvaged materials.

Your questions are right on the spot though. The physical condition on the building envelope should be a determining factor in your stove purchase decision.

No comment on the cat vs. non-cat thing, most folks here already know where I stand on that debate. But if looking at a BK, why the BX 24? The BK “20” and “30” boxes are so ubiquitous as freestander cat main-stays, why not choose one of them over the BX 24?

No comment on the cat vs. non-cat thing, most folks here already know where I stand on that debate. But if looking at a BK, why the BX 24? The BK “20” and “30” boxes are so ubiquitous as freestander cat main-stays, why not choose one of them over the BX 24?

I recall the msrp of the boxer was supposed to be much lower than the others. Could be a dealer pushing a model too.

Yup, price.

To me, the ideal cabin for a BX24 would be 500-1000 sqft, modern construction (2x6 walls or better, at least 24" cellulose in the attic corner to corner, triple pane glass, continuous vapor barrier on all six sides and arctic entry.)

An arctic entry is like an airlock. Think of a mudroom with a closed door to the outdoors and a closed door to the interior of the home. Inside the insulation envelope. Not as warm as the rest of the house, but a good place to set down the groceries and take your parka off before you enter the main house.

Continuously occupied with a BX24, should be good to -40dF loaded twice daily. Unless you got kids home to open both doors to the arctic entry to let outdoor air straight into the stove room.