Info on possible wood stove please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberNoName

Sep 20, 2017
Wisconsin
hello! I'm still learning on wood stoves. I was quoted by a local wood stove place 5k to buy a quadra fire I think it was and have it installed. So decided to look around and possibly DIY. I've done quite a bit and after reading it doesn't look terrible.

Anyway I stumbled upon this one and wanted someone with more knowledge then me to help me out if it's a good deal or not.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/for/d/buckstove-big-buckstainless/6282686530.html

We're possibly selling in 3-4 years but I don't want to set anyone up for failure but I also don't want to drop 5k.

We live in Wisconsin and our only heat now is a furnace, it's good but we would like the wood stove as I used to have one when I was a kid.

1950s house chimney is in good order.

Thanks!

This is an insert, not a freestanding woodstove. Do you want an insert that goes into a masonry fireplace or do you plan on installing a freestanding stove?

It is also quite old. A modern stove will use a lot less fuel and burn a lot cleaner. For this price you can get a nice new stove that may cost less to install. Tell us more about the house and planned installation. Also, a stove is going to require good dry fuel. Do you have a handle on a source for a few cords of fully seasoned wood?

I'm sorry I completely blanked on that information.

I have a fireplace currently. Masonry. We actually have one in the basement that won't be used and one on the main floor (single story house).

So I am looking for a insert.

I do also have some people that can help me with wood. It won't be running all winter just ok the really cold days/when we are mainly in the family room.

Thanks!

Edit to add. This is a 1950s house. 1700ish sq ft 300ish being a all seasons room we don't normally use. This house is not air right like newer ones obviously.

This is an insert, not a freestanding woodstove. Do you want an insert that goes into a masonry fireplace or do you plan on installing a freestanding stove?

It is also quite old. A modern stove will use a lot less fuel and burn a lot cleaner. For this price you can get a nice new stove that may cost less to install. Tell us more about the house and planned installation. Also, a stove is going to require good dry fuel. Do you have a handle on a source for a few cords of fully seasoned wood?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, the old Buck might work, but do some checking first. You'll want to be sure it fits and also find out it's flue collar size. The insert will need a liner. If it requires an 8" liner then you'll need to check whether an 8" insulated liner will fit in the fireplace chimney tiles or not. An insulated 8" liner will need about 11" clear straight down to fit.

To contrast, here is a smaller, modern insert that takes a less expensive 6" liner. Based on the description it will do the job for you as long as it's fed good dry wood and overall it will cost less to install and use less fuel. And, you get a nice fire view to enjoy.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Englande...ood-Burning-Fireplace-Insert-13-NCI/100638341

PS: How tall would you estimate the chimney is from the firebox to the top?

Thank you. I think the 8" would fit might be snug though. Pretty sure I'll have to cut my damper out.

13-18 feet to the top of the chimney cap I would guess.

I'm open to any opinions or suggestions. I'll check out the Englander for sure!

OK, the old Buck might work, but do some checking first. You'll want to be sure it fits and also find out it's flue collar size. The insert will need a liner. If it requires an 8" liner then you'll need to check whether an 8" insulated liner will fit in the fireplace chimney tiles or not. An insulated 8" liner will need about 11" clear straight down to fit.

To contrast, here is a smaller, modern insert that takes a less expensive 6" liner. Based on the description it will do the job for you as long as it's fed good dry wood and overall it will cost less to install and use less fuel. And, you get a nice fire view to enjoy.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Englande...ood-Burning-Fireplace-Insert-13-NCI/100638341

PS: How tall would you estimate the chimney is from the firebox to the top?

The reason I ask is that most modern stoves need at least a 15-16' flue liner to draft correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.