Info on total setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vallka

Nov 26, 2013
squamish
Hello All, I'm new here and would like to ask some questions.
First I have a wood stove and a lined cinder block chimney, the liner has a crack and we are looing at aroound $1200 to reline. What I am thinking is to replace the wood with a pellet stove and run pipe right inside my old 6"chimney, is this possible? Right now my pipe is out the top of wood stove for 4' elbow through wall appox 2', elbow and up the chimney for approx 15'.
In the area I live in, Western Canada I can get a new Pelletech Pellet Stove for about $1100, i have not yet looked at meny others but will.
What type of pipe do I need for inside the chimney.
With a elbow in the chimney how do you clean the pipe.
How do I support 15' of pipe.
I'm sure \i will have more questions to come.
Thanks for all the help and your time.

Vallka

Is your current stove on an interior wall? When you go through the wall is that to go outside or to an interior chimney? Chimney shared? There are building/fire codes that need to be considered.

If you use the search option, you can find past discussions on elevation (sounds like 4" pellet pipe needed for that length pipe with elbows). Easiest option is out through exterior wall but there will be further info about installation in owner's manual.

I hope others with more experience will chime in to help out!

Personally I would direct vent the pellet stove. abandon the chimney..... As for going up the existing chimney, your owners manual will have the distance limitations spelled out
as for cleaning, I use a dryer vent cleaner with 2 four foot fiberglass extensions. they screw together . You would need (four 4' extensions)

The stove is on interior wall that accesses the outside chimney, the chimney is 2' away from the front door of the house so don't think I can vent it there can I. It is not a shared chimney. I could take a picture of it and post it if that would help.

Might want to get more information on the Pelletech pellet stove. Saw the ads on kijiji and have never heard of the manufacturer. Does it have a UL listing with a "c" on it - go and see the stove or ask for photo of manufacturer tag that should be on the back of the appliance showing the manufacturer name, year manufactured, serial number, UL listing (don't have to tell the seller that is what your looking for...)

UL tag examples: http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/corporate/aboutul/ulmarks/mark/art/#mark26

Our stove also has the Warnock Hersey mark that verifies efficiency...
http://www.intertek.com/marks/wh/

Last edited:
the only thing I've seen worse with a chimney in one built in front of a window...seen that a lot!...oh wait ...there was the one that stopped 12" below and 6" away from an upper roof!!

from what I see I would take down that chimney.. not attractive

Status
Not open for further replies.