Info on Whitfield stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pellet rick

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2015
Pottstown PA.
looking at a Whitfield Advantage for $500 bucks for my daughters house. Opinions on this stove please? Btu, reliability , ease of operation.

I have an Advantage III.. bought in 1996.... replaced the exhaust fan this Oct and replaced the room fan too... Lets see... 1996 to 2018... hummm one auger too.

If it has the old dial knobs, you have a very old model. I am not sure if you can get the control panel ($340) fixed.
The Advantage II, II-T or III is much better.

You may need to replace the low heat sensor (heat click on/off) for some $30 if that goes. This model does not use the electric eye.
I highly suggest taking the exhaust fan off and cleaning behind it. Maybe a 1/2 hour job (unplug as the connector are live)

My son loves his. Was a CL 75.00 special that needed to be cleaned out. Lol

Reactions: Pellet rick
I have a profile 30 in the shop now (hopper fire) very compact stoves and a small footprint. But after refurbishing the 25 pdvc and fine tuning it. I would have to lean towards the englander. Maybe after i get this P30 opened up and cleaned out it may change my mind. Lol

Advantage - 8k to 38k btu
PDV. - 8k to 48k btu

Last edited:
Reactions: Pellet rick
I have a profile 30 in the shop now (hopper fire) very compact stoves and a small footprint. But after refurbishing the 25 pdvc and fine tuning it. I would have to lean towards the englander. Maybe after i get this P20 opened up and cleaned out it may change my mind. Lol

PDV. - 8k to 48k btu

How does the hopper catch fire? Jc. Thought these were safer then wood stoves? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I havent had a chance to tear it apart yet but i did notice some jumpers in the wiring. Im guessing the high limit was jumped and the convection fan couldn’t keep up or failed. I know it got hot enough it melted the control board case. Yes they are safer but only if they are maintained and faulty parts replaced instead of bypassing them. ;)

I havent had a chance to tear it apart yet but i did notice some jumpers in the wiring. Im guessing the high limit was jumped and the convection fan couldn’t keep up or failed. I know it got hot enough it melted the control board case

Oh ok got ya, leave it too rocket scientists I guess lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a profile 30 in the shop now (hopper fire) very compact stoves and a small footprint. But after refurbishing the 25 pdvc and fine tuning it. I would have to lean towards the englander. Maybe after i get this P30 opened up and cleaned out it may change my mind. Lol

PDV. - 8k to 48k btu
Thanks that was what I was looking for. The pdv can kick some ass when it is tuned right