Information on the best paint and how to clean glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know Roo this time the link worked?

wingnut said:

Hey !
I call them confusers ( computers )

Note about the paste glass cleaner , the paste glass cleaner works ........ i just dont like the leftover power and such and also seems like it take some effort to buff clean.

Roospike said:
wingnut said:

Hey !
I call them confusers ( computers )

Note about the paste glass cleaner , the paste glass cleaner works ........ i just dont like the leftover power and such and also seems like it take some effort to buff clean.

Not having a Summit I just don't have enough experience cleaning glass to comment.

<running for the bed and pulling the covers over my head>

I was reading a woodstock stove manual the other day and they recommended 0000 steel wool... said that since the "glass" is actually a ceramic, that the super extra fine steel wool wouldn't scratch...

I don't have the guts to try it though... Anyone else give it a go?

Rutland cream paper towel and spray mister bottle of water.Mist paper towel with water put cream on damp towel
and wipe. That easy!

I agree I use two of the small kitchen sponge both of them wet. (not dripping) I use the first one with the cream cleaner flipping the sponge over half way through, I have the Osburn 2200 so I have some extra glass to clean. Then I use the second damp sponge to finish wiping off any leftover cleaner. With everything damp it goes on and off real easy. I always use a disposal latex clove on the hand that has the sponge in it. I learned the hard way that stuff will dry out your skin in a hurry! Then I simply rinse out the sponge under the sink so its ready for next time. I may try the paper towel route to see if that is any easier nothing to rinse out when your done.

wingnut said:
I agree I use two of the small kitchen sponge both of them wet. (not dripping) I use the first one with the cream cleaner flipping the sponge over half way through, I have the Osburn 2200 so I have some extra glass to clean. Then I use the second damp sponge to finish wiping off any leftover cleaner. With everything damp it goes on and off real easy. I always use a disposal latex clove on the hand that has the sponge in it. I learned the hard way that stuff will dry out your skin in a hurry! Then I simply rinse out the sponge under the sink so its ready for next time. I may try the paper towel route to see if that is any easier nothing to rinse out when your done.

HEY WINGNUT Try letting the last coat dry first than wipe with dry paper towel. This leaves a coating
so the next time it comes off alot easyer.

Turner-n-Burner said:
I was reading a woodstock stove manual the other day and they recommended 0000 steel wool... said that since the "glass" is actually a ceramic, that the super extra fine steel wool wouldn't scratch...

I don't have the guts to try it though... Anyone else give it a go?

This is what I've been using, since I installed my Kennebec last year. Doesn't take a lot of scrubbing, just a thin film in the mornings which wipes off easily enough. The only place I've needed to put any effort in, are the bottom corners which the air-wash seems to miss.

The "glass" looks as good as the day we bought it.

-Hal

wrenchmonster said:
How about an oven cleaner? I always wondered about that. Should be safe for glass, I'm assuming that the glass used on oven doors would be similar in composition to those on a stove. Thoughts?

-Kevin

I went to wal-mart to by "WEIMAN Glass Cooktop Cleaner" which someone here recommended, its specifically made for ceramic oven glass and supposedly works great. I did see it (white bottle), and it was like $3.XX, but sitting right next to it was a 97 cent spray can of "oven cleaner" and on the label it said it could be used on oven glass. I figured what the heck for 99 cents I'll try it. Anyway, it works AMAZINGLY well at cleaning - I could not imagine anything possibly working any better - a quick spray and 3 seconds later everything wipes right off effortlessly, no buffing, no elbow grease or anything. There's one major drawback though, the stuff has to be toxic and one little whiff of it will leave you coughing and eyes watering. The stuff is really nasty.

Gojo orange hand cleaner stuff works OK, but it contains pumice - some say that is not good for the ceramic (but if steel wool won't scratch it, pumpice probably won't either?).

Probably the best bet is to go with the weiman cleaner that I originally intended to buy or the rutland stuff, which is probably very similar.

Thanks Budman I will try that. The spray oven cleaner sounds ok but all of this stuff is pretty harsh I,am not keen on breathing the fumes off of the spray cleaners. Just me!

Status
Not open for further replies.