Information on the best paint and how to clean glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinmoelk

Hearth Supporter
Hello everyone. I wanted to get some opinions on stove paint. Who makes the best? What brands should I avoid?

Also, another newbie question: What is the best method for cleaning the glass on a wood stove?

Thanks guys. Colder than heck here in the Yakima Valley, 22 degrees and falling.

-Kevin

Im am not sure on the paint, and I am sure you will get various opinions on the glass cleaning,
But I first wipe on a comercial woodstove glass cleaning solution, let that sit a few minutse, and then follow up with balled up newspaper that is a little moiste, and dipped in ash. That gets it off pretty quick, then I have to clean the glass with windex. That is what works for me.

I use Stove Bright but would suggest Thurmolux because Stove Bright is acetone based and some really nasty stuff vapor wise. As far as glass cleaning I use an exotic specialty product called Windex.

Yeah I'll agree with BB on the Thurmolux.

Man, when I painted the stove with stovebright, it was a full respirator deal just because that stuff is so nasty. I can't imagine how people paint their stoves inside with that stuff.

Corie said:
Yeah I'll agree with BB on the Thurmolux.

Man, when I painted the stove with stovebright, it was a full respirator deal just because that stuff is so nasty. I can't imagine how people paint their stoves inside with that stuff.

After I painted the Sierra with the stuff I was sick for days. With the Englander it was done in the garage with all doors open. Hold breath, go in and shoot, run out and breathe. Between Stove Bright, rockwool insulation and smoking this year I figure I have about six months left to live.

So stovebright is nasty stuff. But is it better quality? Can you buy it in pints and thin it and apply with a spray gun? I am set up with full automotive shop including compressor, spray gun, home-made booth and respirator.

Check out all of their stuff here:

http://www.forrestpaint.com/

I used them because they had the color I needed and my local hearth shop stocks it.

According to my Heritage manual, Windex is a big no-no. Since the glass isn't really glass, products like Windex tend to break down the structure over time and it you'll find yourself cleaning it more often. I don't know what I use. I only know it is designed specifically for wood stove glass.

rudysmallfry said:
According to my Heritage manual, Windex is a big no-no. Since the glass isn't really glass, products like Windex tend to break down the structure over time and it you'll find yourself cleaning it more often. I don't know what I use. I only know it is designed specifically for wood stove glass.

Interesting. The Lopi manual specifies Windex by name and my Englander manual says ordinary glass cleaners are fine. I used it on the glasses on the old stove for 21 years.

rudysmallfry said:

Something I've not heard of per Windex and wood stoves. Where did you find the information?

I just looked at a few Hearthstone manuals and they don't say anything specifically in the latest ones about Windex. They do say to use a low-alkaline cleaner and Windex is very alkaline.

Hmmm...

But my entire kitchen range top is covered in high temp ceramic and they recommend Windex for light stuff and the eight buck a thimble full ceramic cooktop stuff for heavy stuff.

Something to explore here.

I use a product called Fireview. Also, a papertowel dipped in a little ash can clean the glass quite nice. To get built on white haze off, a cool stove and ceramabrite (ceramic glass cleaner for ceramic glas topped cooking stoves) works well.

Most of the cleaning is really done with water though.

We only clean about 1 a month, have the Rutland cleaner and about 2 yrs ago the Mrs. tried it with vinegar and water, and that works well...Vinegar is acidic though or alkaline?????

BrotherBart said:
I just looked at a few Hearthstone manuals and they don't say anything specifically in the latest ones about Windex. They do say to use a low-alkaline cleaner and Windex is very alkaline.

Hmmm...

But my entire kitchen range top is covered in high temp ceramic and they recommend Windex for light stuff and the eight buck a thimble full ceramic cooktop stuff for heavy stuff.

Something to explore here.
I do the same thing with our ceramic cooktop stove. We need more research!

wrenchmonster said:
I wonder if mineral spirits would clean the glass? Auto mechanics use it all the time in solvent tanks to eat through oil, sludge and carbon.

Also, has any one tried steam cleaning the glass?

I put in a wet green log and it didnt work very well. :lol:

wrenchmonster said:
I wonder if mineral spirits would clean the glass? Auto mechanics use it all the time in solvent tanks to eat through oil, sludge and carbon.

hmm...mineral sprits + hot stove = ??????

wrenchmonster said:

Hopefully you mean after it is taken out of that "I just live to rust!" cast iron door. Seriously, I quit cleaning the glass on my old Sierra eight or nine years ago. When I did the refurbish on it this summer I took the two glasses out, sprayed them with Windex and ten minutes later every thing came off with paper towels. Everything. On a stove that had burned everything from Cheerios boxes to soaking wet wood for nine years.

Fire that stove hot and anything hard to clean off of that glass is going up the chimney as fumes.

Just because I suggested steam cleaning and mineral spirits doesn't mean that I'm foolish enough to do any cleaning while the stove is hot. Or that I wouldn't take precautions to prevent rust or clean off the mineral spirits off enough so they wouldn't burn. Give a guy a break.

How about an oven cleaner? I always wondered about that. Should be safe for glass, I'm assuming that the glass used on oven doors would be similar in composition to those on a stove. Thoughts?

-Kevin

wrenchmonster said:
Just because I suggested steam cleaning and mineral spirits doesn't mean that I'm foolish enough to do any cleaning while the stove is hot. Or that I wouldn't take precautions to prevent rust or clean off the mineral spirits off enough so they wouldn't burn. Give a guy a break.

How about an oven cleaner? I always wondered about that. Should be safe for glass, I'm assuming that the glass used on oven doors would be similar in composition to those on a stove. Thoughts?

-Kevin

Oven cleaner is suggested by some stove makers for hard deposits.

BTW: I have to retract on everything being easy to get off of the glass. Last week on a cold night I fired the Englander and was just sitting in the floor enjoying a beverage and watching my new stove coming up to secondary burn temp. Just as all four tubes started firing, a moth came of of nowhere and made a run at the flames. When he hit dead center in that big 500 or so degree glass there was a puff of smoke and a moth image glued to the center of the glass. The next day it was a groan getting moth remains off of the front of that glass.

I bought a 28oz bottle of cerama brite for 6 bucks at Home Depot. It seems to work better than the windex that I used for 3 years and the glass seemed to stay cleaner a bit longer too. Just an opinion though :)

wrenchmonster said:

-Kevin

I should have added <chop busting on>

GVA said:
I bought a 28oz bottle of cerama brite for 6 bucks at Home Depot. It seems to work better than the windex that I used for 3 years and the glass seemed to stay cleaner a bit longer too. Just an opinion though :)

Is this stuff liquid or paste? Paste is a PITA.

Roospike said:
GVA said:

Is this stuff liquid or paste? Paste is a PITA.

Liquid...
I brought it home and my wife thought it was for her to clean the cooktop. :eek:hh:

GVA said:
I brought it home and my wife thought it was for her to clean the cooktop. :eek:hh:

"We've just gotta get your mind right Luke."

Status
Not open for further replies.