Wood Stove lack of comparison / operational demos

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

aatcman

Feb 16, 2024
Eastern NC
Hello All!

To those new to the wood burning world, welcome, and listen to the guys on here talking about everything from moisture content to chimneys -- they are right! : )

Can someone provide an actual comparison between various models of wood stoves out there?
There seems to be a stark lack of such things in this community, and that seems odd given the high cost, both in $$$ and effort/wood/environment associated with wood burning...
It would seem like there should be tradeshows where various manufacturers setup and demo different types of stoves so one could actually see the differences and be shown how to properly fire the different types before deciding to buy one -- seems like its really hard to make a truly informed purchase in this realm.

I have a 19yo buckstove (model 21) that is just bulletproof as it were, and I am now using it in its 3rd location (I bought it new, and have moved it with me over the years).
Its only real downside is the small firebox -- which means I can't load it at bedtime and still have useful coals in the morning...
Even with really dry hardwood, my best burn times are 6-7 hours, usual is more like 4hrs....
No complaint about heat output, just shorter than desired burn times...

Is there a resource, or a manufacturers show (like the hot tub manufacturers do at the fairgrounds from time to time) where one could get a real comparison?

I am thinking about upgrading, solely to get a longer burn time -- but I don't want to give up the robustness or the incredible clean burn this one gives...
For a reference, I once burnt about two cords of sweet gum -- not the best stuff to burn in a stove -- after leaving it in a pile for a year and then spitting it -- chimney guy thought I was nuts, but then acted like he'd seen a ghost when he sent a camera down my chimney -- somehow it was pristine, no creosote anywhere -- like it had never been used..
This was a stub into a masonry fireplace btw...

This stove has burned very cleanly everywhere I've used it -- bright white powdery ash, and year after year chimney cleaning appointments have turned into chimney inspections due to lack of need to clean them -- only very minor buildup ever seems to accumulate -- which I find to be quite impressive being that I burn mostly scavenged dead fall.... Not prime hardwood from a supplier!
To be fair, in my first location, I did burn hardwood from a supplier as I simply didn't have a source for my own scavenging....
And I did get about 1 hour extra burn time for doing so....

Current setup is a 6" triwall class A manufactured chimney with a through wall thimble and single wall black pipe from thimble to stove.
YES, for those wanting to know if the cost difference is worth it, YES!
The draft difference is incredible!
Current setup is 15ft (outside) and about 4 feet (inside), for a total of 19 feet...
This offers SIGNIFICANT improvement over stubbing into a masonry chimney of appx the same height.
I would expect that an insulated liner down a masonry chimney (full liner) would provide the same result for those considering that option...
For those wondering, I went with the prefab throughwall chimney because I don't have a masonry chimney in my current location... : )
Also, being able to use the same stove as insert or freestanding is really convinient if you move frequently!

Anyway, can anyone suggest where I would look for real world comparisons?
Having fired several types of wood stoves over the years, I know simply comparing firebox size and burn type (pre epa, reburn, catalyst, etc) doesn't tell the whole story...
I'd really like to avoid ending up with another stove that doesn't run any longer than what I've got now...
And like I said above, the clean burn is incredible and I'd like to keep that as well!
Any suggestions as to where to look for demonstrations and/or real world comparisons would be appreciated! : )

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Those comparisons don't exist. Why? It's the complete install that makes a stove *system* burn the way it does.
Chimney (height, insulated or not, bends, how the situation is on top (roof peaks etc) ), home tightness, air flow, and fuel quality - they all determine how a system (stove+chimney+fuel+home) behaves.

So, if you want longer burns but are happy with the heat output, get a stove with a larger fire box and at least the same efficiency as yours (the "sweet gum but the chimney was clean" story suggests you are pumping a LOT of heat up the flue rathe rthan in your home, suggesting an inefficient set up).

You can get longer burns with some stoves, but if they have the same (say 3 cu ft) fuel load, that just means that the heat output per hour is going to be less (assuming we're comparing stoves with the same efficiency).

Addition: the chimney is the engine that drives the stove. Comparing cars without their engines would not make much sense either.

Last edited:
Reactions: kborndale
Makes sense, thanks!

To be fair, that first installation (where I burned the gum) was likely very inefficient...
--It was a stub into a short (10 feet at best) masonry chimney in a small and it was not sealed well...
I also didn't have a flue thermometer yet, so I have no idea how much heat I lost up the chimney there...

What I can say, is that your idea that the chimney is the engine driving the stove really makes sense!
I had a really hard time getting enough draft with my first install -- had to burn paper to preheat the chimney to get it going...
My second install was my same stub in into an appx 20 foot tall masonry chimney, in a home with a full basement (stove in the basement), and that drafted much better than the first setup did!
Current install drafts even better -- so much so that if I ever do go back to a fireplace install, I will be installing a liner!! Really, its a night and day difference!

Reactions: anno Domini
It would seem like there should be tradeshows where various manufacturers setup and demo different types of stoves so one could actually see the differences and be shown how to properly fire the different types before deciding to buy one -- seems like its really hard to make a truly informed purchase in this realm.
No problem if you fund it. Set up a building with about a dozen chimneys all exactly the same. Bring in a load of firewood where all is the same species and moisture content and then fire all of the stoves up. Then the people have to wait around for 12 hours to see the real world comparison. Mos stove shops don't even have a stove burning when you go to look at stoves.

Reactions: stoveliker
I’ve been to a few stove shops that have a few different stoves hooked up and burning and they will let you play around a bit. I bet if you asked they may allow you to load a couple different models up and hang around for awhile to compare them.

I’ve been to a few stove shops that have a few different stoves hooked up and burning and they will let you play around a bit. I bet if you asked they may allow you to load a couple different models up and hang around for awhile to compare them.
Big difference in stove market from where you are to the south east. Not many shoppers in a stove store with a roaring fire and 60* temps outside during the day.

Big difference in stove market from where you are to the south east. Not many shoppers in a stove store with a roaring fire and 60* temps outside during the day.
They should run the AC harder... (like they always do in Kville; having the stores in summer colder than in winter.....!)

Having just gone through this process, I feel the pain. I had a unique construction home and a chimney design that couldn't be altered a lot. I spent the last 3 months researching, talking to every dealer in 100 miles and reading all the forums.

After all the research, I found pretty much what others have said. Every stove, chimney and home are going to be different.

I presented my scenario to various dealers. I had one that didn't recommend his particular brand but pointed me toward some others that may suit my needs. I also took the models recommended by other dealers and researched them using youtube and going through their installation/user manuals. I made sure that the stoves on my final list would work with my short chimney and all clearances would be good. I also looked really close at how the inside of the firebox was designed.

In the end I ended up with a stove that I picked based more off of it looks, usability, maintenance requirements and price point. Efficiency was pretty low on the list, my only requirement was that it met the requirement for the tax credit. Its been installed for a few weeks now and we are more than happy with it.

We reroofed our shop a few years ago. Me and a coworker put 40 vents and chimneys through the metal roof! We have several wood burners hooked up as well as dozens of gas units. If anyone wanted to see one burning we’d be glad to build a fire.

Where in N.C. are you? Most people done here don’t have clue when it comes to wood heat. I have two woodstoves and can send you in a good direction.

How big of a space are you heating and how is it layers out?

How many tons is your ac and how long does it run at a time when temps are over 95?

Do you have heatpump for heat or furnace?

Do you want top tier stove or best value?