Insert exhaust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

robweinrich

Oct 2, 2019
Coatesville PA
New to all of this. Just curious. With an insert, how come you have to run tubing , why couldn’t you just have the flue open to allow the smoke to escape?

Dumb question I’m sure. Don’t judge.

Thanks,
Rob

New to all of this. Just curious. With an insert, how come you have to run tubing , why couldn’t you just have the flue open to allow the smoke to escape?

Dumb question I’m sure. Don’t judge.

Thanks,
Rob
Because just allowing it to vent into the fireplace allows the exhaust to cool off to much. That creates creosote and reduces draft which makes more creosote. The insert also is not sealed to the face. That allows dilution air in which makes the problems worse.

The other problem Is when all that creosote catches fire air leaks around the insert feeding massive amounts of air to the fire

Reactions: mountain man 2
The other problem Is when all that creosote catches fire air leaks around the insert feeding massive amounts of air to the fire
Now, this never entered my mind