Insert Fan Speed And Heat Output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
So, I've been obsessively looking at house temperature graphs via my wireless thermostat, below, the right-most curve segment). I left the house today with the fan speed on high and the temp at 82. I noticed just now when I looked that around 8:30 AM the temp had dropped a couple of degrees, and the rate of room cooling slacked off. (The outside only increased a little during this time). I called my wife, and she said she turned the fan to low at that time. Anyway, I thought it was interesting. (The grid box is 20F vertical and 8 hours horizontal.)
Capture.JPG

Reactions: daveswoodhauler
Nice way to keep an eye of the old lady!

So, I've been obsessively looking at house temperature graphs via my wireless thermostat, below, the right-most curve segment). I left the house today with the fan speed on high and the temp at 82. I noticed just now when I looked that around 8:30 AM the temp had dropped a couple of degrees, and the rate of room cooling slacked off. (The outside only increased a little during this time). I called my wife, and she said she turned the fan to low at that time. Anyway, I thought it was interesting. (The grid box is 20F vertical and 8 hours horizontal.)
View attachment 96218
Your wife must just love when you call home and ask her why there was a .2 degree drop in temps? lol
Sounds like something I would do, lol

The slope is definitely less on the slower fan speed. Even though the outside temp (bottom line on graph) has gotten to 30F, I still think that this could show that a slow fan speed to lengthen the life of a load of wood. I'm surprised at the sudden drop in house temp after the fan was turned down. It could be that the heated air currents made it to the thermostat.

My wife loaded the stove (probably not full) at 1pm today, and I let it cool to mostly ash and small coals, and just emptied and reloaded it. Here is the day's chart. The percent scale is humidity, blue line, and is also temp. Grid is 8 hours. The gap on the outside temp line is where internet connection was lost, apparently.

Capture.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.