Insert in a Wall instead of Fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jenp4

Sep 17, 2008
Southern Minnesota
Hello everyone-- I just changed my mind on what type of stove I was buying because of venting advice I received on this forum-- so thanks for that! Instead of going with a St Croix free standing unit, I am now considering a St croix insert (York). I do not have a fireplace, but since I am in the remodle phase (house is down to the studs right now), I was hoping to just build a wall for the insert in the corner of my living room (room layout is not set up for a feestanding unit= small room, big windows on external walls). IS this ok? I have been reading the installation manual and looking on the St Croix website, but haven't found anything against it. My dealer has no idea, so I was hoping someone here might.

Thanks!

No, this isn't permitted. The installation manual spells out the installation options for the insert on page 3:

1. In a Masonry Fireplace – The Masonry Fireplace must be built according to the requirements of the Standards of Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents and Solid Fuel Burning appliances, N.F.P.A. 211 and any National, State or Local codes that apply.
2. In a Zero Clearance Fireplace – The Factory built Zero-Clearance Fireplace and its Chimney must be listed per UL 127 or ULC S610 standards.

If your installation doesn't meet these qualifications, a freestanding stove is what you need.

BeGreen-- you looked at page 3 for the St Croix York? Does that mean that I can put it in the wall if I vent it properly? That is the only type of pellet stove my dealer carries. Next dealer is an hour away (he carries Harman and others) but he doesn't seem very friendly. I am trying to work with the local guy who doesn't carry much yet, but is very willing to provide service/support.

EDIT: I checked the manual forSt Croix and it does say: A FIREPLACE Insert when installed on the Hearth, in a masonary or Zero Clearance type
Fireplace.-- so am I right to assume this means the wall is okay?

Sorry if this seems obvious-- just want to be certain before I put my deposit down tomorrow!

No, a wall is not a ZC fireplace nor is it a masonry fireplace. This is not permitted per the St. Croix insert manual. If you have doubts or questions, call St. Croix first. I believe however, that you could create an alcove for a freestanding St. Croix stove, as long as all clearance requirements are honored. Or you could install the freestanding stove in the corner, without adding a wall.

Called St Croix and I guess I can use a wall for this stove. I just need to have 4inches from the top and sides, and two inches from the back-- also need to vent vertically for a little bit (since the vent is on the top of the stove) and then elbow out the side wall of the house.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.