Insert instal in a Superior heatform

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rb440mike

Jan 16, 2022
Perry, Mi
My Osborn 1700 insert just showed up today. I am going to instal it in a Superior heatform fireplace. I need to remove the center tube that goes through the flue to the grill above the fireplace. I believe it should not be hard using a sawzall or grinder. My question is how well I need to seal the cut out section. I could weld plate below the louvre if required. The back side way up in the chimney would be rather tough though. I can’t think of an easy way to seal it, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. My liner unfortunately will not be here for a few days. It has a 4 ft oval section so hopefully I can get through the 5inch deep opening fairly easily. I mistakenly posted this in the heatilator section as well as that’s what I originally thought it was.
Thanks in advance!
Mike

My Osborn 1700 insert just showed up today. I am going to instal it in a Superior heatform fireplace. I need to remove the center tube that goes through the flue to the grill above the fireplace. I believe it should not be hard using a sawzall or grinder. My question is how well I need to seal the cut out section. I could weld plate below the louvre if required. The back side way up in the chimney would be rather tough though. I can’t think of an easy way to seal it, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. My liner unfortunately will not be here for a few days. It has a 4 ft oval section so hopefully I can get through the 5inch deep opening fairly easily. I mistakenly posted this in the heatilator section as well as that’s what I originally thought it was.
Thanks in advance!
Mike
Just rivet some sheet metal over the holes. I would strongly recommend not ovalizing through the damper area and instead cutting the area out to get round through.

You will also want to make a block off plate to close off the flue around the new liner

Well it’s installed and has been making heat. Thanks for the tip about not using the ovalized part of the liner. I was able to cut that of and not use it. Here are a couple things I figured out in the process that may help a DIYer.
- buying a universal liner kit may not be the best route. I ended up buying one and then realized I preferred to use a terracotta top plate instead of a flat universal plate. The appliance adapter was also straight. A 15 degree adapter would have worked better. I had to put the insert as far back as allowed per instructions. The flexible liner is not that flexible. I will be getting one and installing in the spring so the insert can come out some. My insert is small, if it was any larger, I would have had to buy the angled adapter before I could install.
- A sawzall and 4 1/2 grinder worked ok to cut up the superior heat form. It is a miserable job though, laying in the fireplace and working overhead. A plasma cutter may have been easier but I didn’t have the protective equipment to use it. Make sure to cut enough for good clearance as the liner really doesn’t bend easily.

Last but not least, thanks to the members that gave me tips.