Insert Installation Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Mcconomy

Jun 14, 2012
I was fortunate to get an excellent price on a Pelpro Insert, the previous owner intended to use it in their Wood Fireplace. In the end they decided to sell the home and sold the stove. It is less than 1 year old, brand new still in the box. I am familiar with Wood stoves and Freestanding Pellet stoves, but the insert part is somewhat a grey area for me, I am hoping one of you folks could provide me some answers to a few questions I have.

I am planning to build a fireplace surround to put the insert into, I bought a Superpro 3" vent kit to vent it through the wall. The rear clearance specs call for 6" to any combustible surface (the wall where the Vent will run through). Now do I need to put fireboard or anything additional on the paneled wall if I exceed the 6" clearance requirement? or can I just vent it through as is.

Also more along the same vein, the framed opening in the fireplace surround I wish to build would exceed space requirements but I wish to make it from Wood, do I need to put fireboard along the inner edges of the opening, which face the unit?

For the Hearth I am thinking I would make a wood base with 2" granite stone cemented on top (yea way heavy) and put the insert directly on top. Is this sufficient or do I need fireboard of some type on top of this?

I am a pretty good DIYer but I also don't want to spend time building this and find out I wasted time, and materials. The guy at the hardware store didn't seem to know anything about doing anything with an insert except putting it into an existing fireplace. I thought one of you with experience in this area could pass along your thoughts.

I have a Bay Window insert model

http://www.dansons.com/pdfs/manuals/FPP owners Manual JAN 29 09.pdf

Thanks Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.