Insert Key damper install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john26

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Wildwood MO
I finally installed a key damper on my Lopi Freedom, I think it will be the only way to get good control of the fire and a long burn time without smoldering the fire. I installed it through the appliance adapter and the heavy wall liner. I blocked off the hole in the center of the damper for more reduction, flue is 29'. Here is a few pic I still have to put the trim piece now I need a cold night or two to test it.
damp1.pngdamp2.jpgdamp4.jpgdamp5.jpgdamp6.jpg

What method did you use to make sure your holes were equidistant? I am going to be installing a damper myself and am watching this with interest since my flue is 28' stove to cap. I'm digging the use of an extension for the handle - great idea.

I just eye balled it, rubs slightly on one side but it makes for a good stop in the closed position. I used 2 damper shafts to make it and it is coupled with 1/2" stock drilled to the the shaft diameter and locked with set screws. There is also shoulder bushings on each end the shaft is .20 and the holes are .25. I used a 1/4" bit 12" long to drill it.

I have done them using a flexible socket extension it worked well the holes didn't need to be perfect

What method did you use to make sure your holes were equidistant? I am going to be installing a damper myself and am watching this with interest since my flue is 28' stove to cap. I'm digging the use of an extension for the handle - great idea.
I wonder if there is any risk of the holes in the liner opening up over time/use and leaking flue gasses?
I made bushings that snap into the appliance adapter and liner that the damper shaft rides on to prevent that I also wrapped thermal insulation around the flue.

Reactions: Das Jugghead
So I am headed to the store for two key dampers. One for an insert one for a stove both connected to appliance adapters and flexible liners. I don’t see these as adjustments I will make during a normal burn but over fire protection for the stove And to restrict the draft on the insert as it 24’ straight up and I have been to timid to give it a full hot reload with out it. (I did restrict the secondary air intake by 1/3 but the primary is way to strong a bolt in 1/3 dog house holes had little effect.

Any considerations beyond what have been discussed I should be thinking about?

Thanks Evan

I installed my key damper directly in the stove collar. There is not a whole lot of clearance as the stove sits inside a fireplace but the key damper has made a world of difference in slowing down the burn and allowing me to extract more usable heat rather than sending it straight up my flue.

For reference my flue is 28' from the top of the stove (pictured) to the crown of the chimney and the stove used to burn like an F18 with afterburners on for take off. And the pictures are of the installation process and not the completed install.

IMG_8900.jpgIMG_8902.jpgIMG_8903.jpg

Reactions: EbS-P
So I am headed to the store for two key dampers. One for an insert one for a stove both connected to appliance adapters and flexible liners. I don’t see these as adjustments I will make during a normal burn but over fire protection for the stove And to restrict the draft on the insert as it 24’ straight up and I have been to timid to give it a full hot reload with out it. (I did restrict the secondary air intake by 1/3 but the primary is way to strong a bolt in 1/3 dog house holes had little effect.

Any considerations beyond what have been discussed I should be thinking about?

Thanks Evan

I think you'll be happy with the damper.

If not you could always convert your insert to the EPA 2015 model.

Pull up the parts and manual for the Osburn Matrix (OBO2020). This model uses 4 different secondary tubes, lots and larger holes at the front, less and smaller holes at the back. The manual shows the differences on one of the pages. The EPA 2020 version just runs the front tube with lots of large holes in all 4 positions. The air control is also a different part number, although I'm not sure what was changed between the 2.

Edit: Alternatively pulling up the DB03125-1 model of your stove will have the same effect as that is the EPA 2015 model.

Last edited:
Reactions: EbS-P
I have noticed the damper installed now on my Pacific Energy insert, it seemed to make a bigger difference on the Lopi Freedom but does help on the PE. I notice it helps reduce turbulence in the firebox on windy days.

I believe that even a fully open key damper helps to slow the draft. Remember that you can use it fully open, closed, and anywhere in between.