Insert or stove glass cleaner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
Is there a product one can buy other than oven cleaner that cleans glass on doors? I want to clean my old insert for sale and its door is pretty bad. My new one does come clean with the old wet cloth and ash trick, but only when the door is cool.

Thanks
Shipper

My mom told me about using ashes to clean when she was a child.

Try this:

On the old door make some fine ash into a paste with a small amount of water and smear a relatively thick coating on the door. Allow it to sit for about 30 minutes then wipe it off. Repeat a couple more times if needed. Works like a charm for me.

TMonter said:
Try this:

On the old door make some fine ash into a paste with a small amount of water and smear a relatively thick coating on the door. Allow it to sit for about 30 minutes then wipe it off. Repeat a couple more times if needed. Works like a charm for me.

What do you use to smear it on with, just a damp cloth? Do you have to rub it in or just put it on and let it sit?

TMonter said:
Try this:

Sounds like a real pane in the ash to me. :p

ive got some sort of stainless steel sponge thing, wife uses it to clean cast iron stuff in the kitchen ( pots and pans)

I use it on the glass, cant tell that its scratching it, and the only other thing ive ever found to work is a straight razor blade, but talke about pain in the AZZ.

a really hot fire generally keeps the glass clean, but sometimes a log rolls off, or falls against the glass, and it gets blacked.

My sweep the last time he cleaned my chimeny used this can of stuff and it worked great, I mean the glass was like new for about a hour after firing it up. I was hoping I wasnt the only one who had a sweep clean my chimney and used this stuff.

Shipper

+1 for ashes right out of your firebox. I tried stove glass cleaner, razor blades, and nothing worked as well as a damp paper towel and some ash. It's like magic. Do yourselves a favor and try it... I was skeptical too, but it works better and is almost free.

What do you use to smear it on with, just a damp cloth? Do you have to rub it in or just put it on and let it sit?

You usually don't have to rub it in just make sure it sticks to the coating and is wet enough to penetrate somewhat. I usually use a paper towel to apply and wipe off. A shop towel would work fine also I'd assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.