Insert or stove in double-sided fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

danham

Burning Hunk
Jan 12, 2012
Cape Cod, MA
My wife and I are looking at a property which contains the double-sided fireplace shown below. It is open to both the living room and dining room. Does this pose any challenges to an insert or stove installation? Would we have to block off one side, or just enjoy the "extra heat" off whichever one we designate as the back side?

Thanks.

-dan

My wife and I are looking at a property which contains the double-sided fireplace shown below. It is open to both the living room and dining room. Does this pose any challenges to an insert or stove installation? Would we have to block off one side, or just enjoy the "extra heat" off whichever one we designate as the back side?

Thanks.

-dan

The back of a stove is not terrible pretty but the back of an insert is ugly. Can that whole brick mess be removed or is there additional flues in it?

The back of a stove is not terrible pretty but the back of an insert is ugly. Can that whole brick mess be removed or is there additional flues in it?
That whole brick mess is very likely structural. In most cases removing a fireplace is neither simple nor cheap.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000

Thanks.

-dan
I would do a stove in front of one side or the other. An insert would work but I would brick up the back side in that case.

That whole brick mess is very likely structural. In most cases removing a fireplace is neither simple nor cheap.

So how can that pile of bricks be structural if no wood is allowed to touch it? Is it just the illegal chimneys that are structural?

In my personal experience, removing a masonry chimney was both simple and cheap. No regrets at all. It's just a freestanding pile of bricks after all. Sometimes they fall over on their own.

I'd do an insert on the LR side and perforated or expanded metal grille (painted black? stainless?) on the kitchen side to mask the back of the insert, but still allow some heat output from the rear into that space.

Reactions: danham and bholler
So how can that pile of bricks be structural if no wood is allowed to touch it? Is it just the illegal chimneys that are structural?

In my personal experience, removing a masonry chimney was both simple and cheap. No regrets at all. It's just a freestanding pile of bricks after all. Sometimes they fall over on their own.
Like I have been saying for years most are illegal and do have wood touching them. Just looking at how that is situated it looks like it could be structural. It also may not be I don't know but I have seen many that are. I am not saying taking it out is a bad idea but many people like their masonry structures. And many are not simple to remove either.

Like I have been saying for years most are illegal and do have wood touching them. Just looking at how that is situated it looks like it could be structural. It also may not be I don't know but I have seen many that are. I am not saying taking it out is a bad idea but many people like their masonry structures. And many are not simple to remove either.

If it was structural is it then illegal? If illegal then would it be unsafe? If unsafe wouldn’t you want to remove it?

Like you’ve always said bholler, you shouldn’t use an illegal/unsafe chimney.

If it was structural is it then illegal? If illegal then would it be unsafe? If unsafe wouldn’t you want to remove it?

With an insulated liner this point is moot. You're in a provocative mood today. Go out and enjoy the sunshine.

With an insulated liner this point is moot. You're in a provocative mood today. Go out and enjoy the sunshine.

We would definitely get a double-wall insulated liner, just as we have in our present house.

-dan

Reactions: bholler

It can easily be made safe and legal with an insulated liner which would be needed for a stove or insert anyway

Is a double sided high efficiency fireplace out of the question?

It can easily be made safe and legal with an insulated liner which would be needed for a stove or insert anyway

Good. I didn't realize that an insulated liner makes up for all evils. Would be a great idea here even if the masonry is properly built.

Can a sheetrock wall be built around the monster brick structure? Would require proper blocking of one side of the fireplace of course.

So about the stove options. The back of hearthstones can look pretty dang good. The back of the BK is very much like the back of a washing machine. Any other stoves with pretty backsides for the OP? Cast iron? Depending on the height of the fireplace opening, some stoves might be too tall.

Good. I didn't realize that an insulated liner makes up for all evils. Would be a great idea here even if the masonry is properly built.

Can a sheetrock wall be built around the monster brick structure? Would require proper blocking of one side of the fireplace of course.

So about the stove options. The back of hearthstones can look pretty dang good. The back of the BK is very much like the back of a washing machine. Any other stoves with pretty backsides for the OP? Cast iron? Depending on the height of the fireplace opening, some stoves might be too tall.

I think there's a few top vent jotul stoves that might fit in the fireplace, but I don't know if any are meant to be seen from the back.

Insulated liners dont make up for all evils but they do address many common clearance issues. And yes of course a masonry structure can be wrapped in drywall as long as it meets code requirements in one way or another.

If you could get the proper clearances a stove would be simpler I think. Am imagining mine as a double sided ( we actually had a quote to convert to a double sided gas fireplace a few years ago.). I think it would keep the pass through character but one side isn’t going to have pretty flames. That said I don’t think the back side of the my ivory stove is hideous. Our opening is 42w x 29h and would still give sight lines through to other room. If you could find an EPA double sided that would be my first choice. Second would be insert and blocking off back side in some way. Stove would be my third choice.

Evan
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm reviving this topic because we just had the installation folks here and they say we have 3 flues in this chimney and that the one presently venting the fireplace is in good shape and will work nicely with a steel liner.

He recommended either creating a plate (per one suggestion above) or painting the back side of the insert and leaving the glass doors closed unless we want more heat in the dining room.

He also said we should buy before Jan 1 as new emissions regs will drive up the prices.

Comments?

Reactions: SpaceBus
I'm reviving this topic because we just had the installation folks here and they say we have 3 flues in this chimney and that the one presently venting the fireplace is in good shape and will work nicely with a steel liner.

He recommended either creating a plate (per one suggestion above) or painting the back side of the insert and leaving the glass doors closed unless we want more heat in the dining room.

He also said we should buy before Jan 1 as new emissions regs will drive up the prices.

Comments?
danham what insert are they recommending? The backsides of most inserts are already painted black. Some folks have installed a decorative perforated metal cover on the backside to permit heat to still convect. This can be brass, stainless or steel painted black depending on preferences.

danham what insert are they recommending? The backsides of most inserts are already painted black. Some folks have installed a decorative perforated metal cover on the backside to permit heat to still convect. This can be brass, stainless or steel painted black depending on preferences.

Thanks for the reply. We just ordered a Jotul C450 Kennebec CF. I think we can skip the backside cover and just use the existing glass doors and embers screen to hide the back side. We would open the back side doors while burning to help heat the dining area and kitchen.

-dan

It seems like a double sided fireplace could really help get some radiant heat out into the house. Good choice on the Jotul.

Thanks for the reply. We just ordered a Jotul C450 Kennebec CF. I think we can skip the backside cover and just use the existing glass doors and embers screen to hide the back side. We would open the back side doors while burning to help heat the dining area and kitchen.

-dan
congrats on your new stove.

I like the big brick structure in the middle of the room. Lots of thermal mass to soak up heat from the stove.

Thanks.

-dan
Hi Dan,
I’m curious what you decided to do. My husband and I are investigating the same problem. We really don’t want the heat on dining room side if we do an insert.
How did you address the non function side look?

7793934C-CBDF-48E9-AA8C-8D9B63EC1C27.jpeg