Insert rattling when blower is on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

soundofsilence

Mar 28, 2022
Chicagoland
Hi all, we have a new osburn matrix 2700 and this thing won't stop rattling. The store is trying to fix this for us, but I thought I'd seek advice here as to what it could be.

Here is a video of the issue.

We removed the thin face plate and the thicker (and heavy) front part of the insert, so it's apparently not related to those pieces.

It sounds like it's coming from the top-rear of the unit. If I press against the top, it quiets the rattling. Also, it doesn't always rattle, so maybe it's related to the heat of the unit?

We already mounted felt under the blower motor, I don't think that's the issue. Any ideas? We run this overnight, so it's a huge annoyance.

I think I would remove the insert tubes and baffle and examine how the liner is attached. I would also be looking for a flue flame shield attached to the roof of the insert that may be loose.

How is the appliance collar attached to the insert? If it is with an inside of the flue puller, that may be loose.

Reactions: soundofsilence
I think I would remove the insert tubes and baffle and examine how the liner is attached. I would also be looking for a flue flame shield attached to the roof of the insert that may be loose.

How is the appliance collar attached to the insert? If it is with an inside of the flue puller, that may be loose.
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'm trying to get the retailer or installer to fix the issue, but so far they haven't been able to isolate the issue -- so I posted here hoping to get some possible solutions. :)

Have you removed the blower bypassed the thermal switch and confirmed the blower is balanced and working properly?

Have you removed the blower bypassed the thermal switch and confirmed the blower is balanced and working properly?
I haven't tried this and it's probably beyond my technical know-how, but I'll add it to the list of possibilities. Idk if you say the video in my initial post, but the blower is below the unit and I'm able to silence the rattle by putting pressure (pushing) against the top part of the unit. So I'm figuring whatever is loose is at least connected to something above the unit.

It's super annoying, but fortunately it comes and goes or it can be minimized somewhat by adjusting the blower speed. So possibly it's also related the temperature of the steel surrounding the unit.

Had the same thing on my Osburn Stratford II. Pulled the blower and cleaned the blades, problem solved. It's amazing how quickly drywall dust coats fan blades and throws them out of balance. I appreciate now why the electrician refused to hook up the bathroom fans until drywalling was completed.

Had the same thing on my Osburn Stratford II. Pulled the blower and cleaned the blades, problem solved. It's amazing how quickly drywall dust coats fan blades and throws them out of balance. I appreciate now why the electrician refused to hook up the bathroom fans until drywalling was completed.
This all started pretty much right away, presumably before the fan blades had time to get dirty, but it's worth a shot. I have an air compressor, I wonder if it's worth trying to use that to clean the blower vs removing it altogether.

Hi all, we have a new osburn matrix 2700 and this thing won't stop rattling. The store is trying to fix this for us, but I thought I'd seek advice here as to what it could be.

Here is a video of the issue.

We removed the thin face plate and the thicker (and heavy) front part of the insert, so it's apparently not related to those pieces.

It sounds like it's coming from the top-rear of the unit. If I press against the top, it quiets the rattling. Also, it doesn't always rattle, so maybe it's related to the heat of the unit?

We already mounted felt under the blower motor, I don't think that's the issue. Any ideas? We run this overnight, so it's a huge annoyance.
Does it rattle when the blower is off, or only when the blower is on?

Does it rattle when the blower is off, or only when the blower is on?
Only when the blower is on, but not always. I've noticed it usually goes away when the unit is fully heated and blazing. So for now I'm not running the fan until the fire has been going awhile. If I run it overnight (which I do pretty much always when the temps are freezing), we usually wake up to a rattling insert (presumably because the unit is much cooler.

Only when the blower is on, but not always. I've noticed it usually goes away when the unit is fully heated and blazing. So for now I'm not running the fan until the fire has been going awhile. If I run it overnight (which I do pretty much always when the temps are freezing), we usually wake up to a rattling insert (presumably because the unit is much cooler.
I have a similar problem. I solved it by fashioning a small shim and through trial and error, figured out where I needed to wedge it in to stop the rattling. Essentially the fan housing needed a little support underneath the front.

Maybe worth a shot?

Also, the fan can easily get out of balance due to accumulation of dust and ash. Mine requires 2 or 3 cleanings a year. Unhook the blower housing from the stove, take it outside, and gently use whatever brushes, pipe cleaners, and forced air, to get as much crud as you can off the blades of the squirrel cage. Takes some time, but must be done.

Last edited:
I have a similar problem. I solved it by fashioning a small shim and through trial and error, figured out where I needed to wedge it in to stop the rattling. Essentially the fan housing needed a little support underneath the front.

Maybe worth a shot?

Also, the fan can easily get out of balance due to accumulation of dust and ash. Mine requires 2 or 3 cleanings a year. Unhook the blower housing from the stove, take it outside, and gently use whatever brushes, pipe cleaners, and forced air, to get as much crud as you can off the blades of the squirrel cage. Takes some time, but must be done.
Thanks, that's definitely worth a shot. Do you also have the Matrix 2700?

Thanks, that's definitely worth a shot. Do you also have the Matrix 2700?
No, but I've found that many SBI stoves are very similar, and based on your video, most of the differences between my SBI Flame Energy, and your SBI Osbourn, are cosmetic. I've spent way too much time in various SBI stoves manuals...

I have a Lopi Revere Fireplace insert. It's been making blower rattling for a long time. I just put some 5 lb weights on it and it went away temporarily. Eventually I got sick of fussing with it and found this forum while searching for a solution. I ended up working something out myself : I bought some rolls of the door gasket stuff : fiberglass flat rope seal. I cut a few feet, and made double knots down the length. I used a crowbar on a good lift spot on the insert to raise it a centimeter and crammed the rope underneath the front with a screwdriver. The loud rattle went away and I haven't heard it since.