Insert recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

semipro

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia
I've come to the conclusion that I need to install an insert in the (prefabricated steel & masonry) fireplace in the family room on our 1st floor. We're currently heating mainly with a Jotul Firelight located in our mostly uninsulated basement and I'm tired of wasting good wood heating the ground around our foundation. I've used a variety of wood stoves (VC, Jotul, others) but have never operated an insert. I've read through many of the posts on the Hearth forums and done a fair amount of research on manufacturer websites and its time to ask you guys for some advice and/or feedback. Here are my current thoughts/preferences:

- I'd consider either a cat or non-cat but I'm used to operating a cat and have had good luck with my Jotul
- I'd prefer to buy American, a negative for Jotul
- A grated bottom on the firebox with removable ash tray is a must.
- Local dealers are Lopi, Jotul, Quadrafire, Vermont Castings, Hearthstone (no Blaze King or Harman nearby)
- I'm tempted by steel stoves as I feel they're tighter and less likely to need re-sealing other than gaskets. I like the look of Cast iron better and this will be in our living room.
- An outside air connection on the stove is must.
- I like the idea of a thermostatic combustion air control such as those offered on VC and Blaze King. I've operated a VC Encore Cat and the thermostat was a great feature. Incidentally, an old Sears wood burning (appliance) stove we burned had one.
- I would like for the unit to be serviceable without removal from the fireplace.
- A variable speed and easy to clean and service fan would be great. It needs to be quiet too.
- Medium size. I need to heat about 1500-2000 sqft. The size of the firebox may limit the unit's size.

The VC Winter Warm units seem to meet most of my requirements but problems with VC are well documented here and elsewhere. My local dealer claims to have a great relationship with corporate but I feel there's only so much they can do if I have problems. Maybe most VC problems relate to the Everburn units?

So I 'm hoping to get some recommendations from those that have used or know about inserts especially those made by VC, Jotul, Hearthstone, Quadrafire,and Lopi.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I have no idea what the Jotul looks like, but why not move that upstairs?

**ETA**

Now that I looked at the specs on the stove why not move that upstairs? Stove cost is eliminated.

We have the Jotul 550 and couldn't be happier. we have an upside down house. The bedrooms are in the basement and the living area is upstairs. The house is almost all glass. i t has never been even close to warm until we installed the 550. Now it is toasty even in sub zero weather. The cleanout is simple and we only rake the coals once a week, to remove the ash keeping the charcoal there. It looks great and heats the upstairs to a comfortable 70+ with almost no effort. Don't limit your choices.

The Jotul I have is too tall to install upstairs and a nice backup to have. Even if I removed the legs and it sat on its ash pan it would be to tall to allow routing the stovepipe without major reconstruction of the (rock) masonry.

I recently found that backup is important when I broke the ceramic "glass" on the front of the Jotul and had to stop burning until I was able to obtain some steel of the right thickness and cut it to size for use while new ceramic was on order.

By the time you get through your list of musts, you will likely be faced with a short list of options. My Lopi insert, for example, does not have an ash tray. I believe that is true of all Lopi inserts.

Semipro said:
I've come to the conclusion that I need to install an insert in the (prefabricated steel & masonry) fireplace in the family room on our 1st floor. We're currently heating mainly with a Jotul Firelight located in our mostly uninsulated basement and I'm tired of wasting good wood heating the ground around our foundation. I've used a variety of wood stoves (VC, Jotul, others) but have never operated an insert. I've read through many of the posts on the Hearth forums and done a fair amount of research on manufacturer websites and its time to ask you guys for some advice and/or feedback. Here are my current thoughts/preferences:

- I'd consider either a cat or non-cat but I'm used to operating a cat and have had good luck with my Jotul
- Local dealers are Lopi, Jotul, Quadrafire, Vermont Castings, Hearthstone (no Blaze King or Harman nearby)
- I'm tempted by steel stoves as I feel they're tighter and less likely to need re-sealing other than gaskets. I like the look of Cast iron better and this will be in our living room.
- I like the idea of a thermostatic combustion air control such as those offered on VC and Blaze King. I've operated a VC Encore Cat and the thermostat was a great feature. Incidentally, an old Sears wood burning (appliance) stove we burned had one.
- I would like for the unit to be serviceable without removal from the fireplace.
- A variable speed and easy to clean and service fan would be great. It needs to be quiet too.
- Medium size. I need to heat about 1500-2000 sqft. The size of the firebox may limit the unit's size.

The VC Winter Warm units seem to meet most of my requirements but problems with VC are well documented here and elsewhere. My local dealer claims to have a great relationship with corporate but I feel there's only so much they can do if I have problems. Maybe most VC problems relate to the Everburn units?

So I 'm hoping to get some recommendations from those that have used or know about inserts especially those made by VC, Jotul, Hearthstone, Quadrafire,and Lopi.

It is obvious that you are describing the VC WinterWarm (small) insert! I am running a 15 year old VC WinterWarm Small, and it is successfully heating my 1800 sq foot cape to 68* while zero degrees outside, consuming three splits every four hours. This unit clearly nails all of your criteria. Do not confuse with WinterWarm Large, a larger more powerful but problematic unit.

The small firebox will not be an issue in your climate with your square footage. I've been running mine 24x7 since October 1st, heating the house nicely. So I can tell you that if you feed it good wood, you will get four hours of high output out of two or three good splits. Pack the firebox and dial it down and you will get six good hours of useful heat at moderate output, and ample coals left at the eight or ten hour mark for easy restarts. It is simply a remarkably good device that has totally exceeded my expectations in every way. I have yet to find anything about my model that smacks of cheapness or cut corners. Your search is done. Get the VC WinterWarm (small) unit, and call this problem "solved".

Semipro said:

My first thoughts are congratulations for considering moving the stove upstairs, but be a bit more flexible with the requirements. Based on the info provided, it sounds like the Hampton Hi300 might be worthy of a looksee. The other alternative is to seal up and insulate the basement and improve heat flow to upstairs.

I appreciate the responses I got but expected more from such an obviously opinionated and knowledgeable bunch.

Its hard to believe that only VC makes an insert that anywhere nearly meets these requirements/preferences. Yeah I'm picky but I've created enough ash to know that pulling out an ash tray, carrying it outside and dumping it in a metal trash can is a lot easier and whole lot less mess in the house than raking a firebox. Its a shame that more inserts don't include an ash tray but its fairly obvious space is the reason why.

BTW, I'm not bashing VC. I ran an Encore cat in a rental house for a year and loved it. However, I think even VC proponents would admit that VC has had some quality problems of late and I'll likely have to buy a new unit. Seems a lot of folks have figured out that burning wood makes sense so used stoves other than ones like old Fishers are hard to find.

I guess I'm going to take some measurements and start looking at what size freestanding stove I can fit in there but I'm pretty sure one that fits will be too small to provide enough heat. Unless I can find an better alternative I may have to go with VC Winterwarm. I'm glad to hear that VTCJ has had good luck with his/hers.

It would be great to hear from other WinterWarm owners out there, especially if they have the larger unit.

Seems like the options have narrowed it down to one stove. Either the requirements list needs to be more flexible, other options need to be considered, or get the VC.

If interested in a freestanding stove, can the hearth be extended so that the heating will be better from a rear-exit stove? What is the fireplace opening size?

Looks like a Buck Model 85 might work for me.

I have both a brother & sister who both have a Buck 80 model. They are very pleased with the Buck models. I'm the rebel who bought a Lopi.. ;-P

Buck makes some good stoves & inserts.

I really like my Buck 51 insert that I bought used last fall. My parents have used a Buck 91 insert for years and been very happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.