Insert VS free standing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

msherer

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Dec 9, 2010
IL
I have a nice fireplace but want to get more efficient heat. I thought about an insert but I like the free standing stoves better. My fireplace won't house a very big insert and I have a 2700 sq' house. Has anyone ever put a free standing stove in front of their fireplace? Looking at different stoves it looks like I would have to knock a hole in my brick to get the stove pipe in the chimney cavity. Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.

Matt

upload_2017-12-8_16-26-52.png

Like that?

You're going to have more issues with clearances, both height of stove fitting, distance to mantel and hearth in front of the stove. It's tough and will take awhile to find the right stove and may still need some re-construction.

Best bet is to find a rear exit chimney stove.

upload_2017-12-8_16-28-52.png

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an any mantle except for the piece on the very top. It’s all brick . Thanks for the pictures, that gives me something to look for .

Matt

Look for a rear ven stoves. Like Woodstock makes some and the are very pretty also have a great reputation around here.

My pic in my avatar.

I have a nice fireplace but want to get more efficient heat. I thought about an insert but I like the free standing stoves better. My fireplace won't house a very big insert and I have a 2700 sq' house. Has anyone ever put a free standing stove in front of their fireplace? Looking at different stoves it looks like I would have to knock a hole in my brick to get the stove pipe in the chimney cavity. Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.

Matt
A picture or two of the existing setup will help us see what you are seeing. If you can add or supply the dimensions that also helps a lot.