Insert without Faceplate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

martel

Feb 9, 2006
Does anyone know of an insert without a faceplate? my beautiful fireplace is causing problems. i am wondering if there is an insert that just sets within the existing firebox. I am looking at Regency i2400 and hoping i can make this work. Considered putting a insert in without the faceplate, but would just look silly.

thanks
zgjd

Many steel plate stoves are sold as both insert and freestanding. Lopi Answer is an example of this. The difference according to my local Lopi Dealer is the faceplate and the legs. Otherwise, same stove. I'd be sure to ask that question, and do your research.

Thanks- I am doing a lot of research and asking lots of questions. This dealer is REALLY helpful, friendly and spent a lot of time with me yeterday. He said one thing he does is costum faceplates to fit the opening of the existing firebox. He showed pictures and they look really sweet. Would preserve the arch on my FP

martel said:
Does anyone know of an insert without a faceplate? my beautiful fireplace is causing problems. i am wondering if there is an insert that just sets within the existing firebox. I am looking at Regency i2400 and hoping i can make this work. Considered putting a insert in without the faceplate, but would just look silly.

thanks
zgjd

I have the I2400 Regency. The faceplate looks nice with the gold trim. You can sort of see it in my picture to the left.

the 2400 is just a gorgeous stove! also seems to kick out some serious heat. paul is that the standard faceplate or the large

I haven't had a chance to hook mine up but I bought a Lopi Answer and it is a awesome stove. The same model can become a freestanding stove if you add legs, or a insert. If you use a full liner the panels are optional.

martel said:
the 2400 is just a gorgeous stove! also seems to kick out some serious heat. paul is that the standard faceplate or the large

At 10 degrees outside I have my house at 78! It throws alot of heat! I use the blower on low it is really quiet. I never had to use the high setting. That is the standard faceplate. I originally ordered the large, but when the stove was in, the large seemed to overpower the stove. With the standard faceplate, the brick fireplace shows and doesnt dwarf the stove as badly as the large faceplate. email me @ [email protected] and I can send you some pictures that are larger if you want.

I thought inserts were built differently, to push more heat out the front?

Are the "guts" of it the same? I.E. the Pacific Energy Summit Insert is the same as the Summit Freestanding, just without surround and legs?

Don't know about the PE summit, but it is so with the Lopi answer. The stove and insert are the same thing, except one has legs, the other has panels. This design has a 5 wall convection chamber around it which throws heat out the front.

my new plan is to buy the faceplate with the stove, bring it to a machine shop with measurements and have it cut specifically to fit my firebox (also, smooth it out and i would either paint it all or touch it up). this would make it so it does not over power the fireplace, it would maintain the look of the arch, and it would then allow it to sit flush (the stone work of my fire place juts out in several places)- what do you guys think of this idea? the faceplate is really made for fireplaces that are flush and do not account for the stonework/masonry.

Tomorrow I will post several pics of my fireplace and dimensions.

krm

The Lopi Answer is very unique.

There are stoves, like the Pacific Energy Summit. Which is a stove at heart, that can come with a surround and fans that give you the ability to convert their normal stove into a fireplace insert with little modification. You can't put this shroud around a summit stove and have it sit in the open, it would look ridiculous.

The next, are inserts. They come as one piece, shroud surrounding the firebox and there is no such thing as a stove model of it. My Hearthstone Clydesdale is such, it's a cast iron unit (even some of the air channels surrounding it are cast iron with a couple of sheet metal plates on the very outsides). They usually have heat shields on all sides and the hot air only comes out the front. Mine happens to be lacking a heat shield on the back. They produce the maximum quantities of heated air that you can move around your house and great at evening the heat througout, or moving it where you need it and not roasting you out of the room it's in but, you do lose some heat to the masonary and the blowers make a difference in their effectiveness. After going from a freestanding stove to an insert I'm never going back as I'm now, after 25 years, able to do what I never could with my freestanding stove and all that damn work with the channels, registers, fans with my stove... crap my insert single-handedly heats my house now like my freestanding stove never could and I don't need a single register or vents... just the inserts blowers and the side with my insert stays around 71, the other side of my house 68. Wow, a 3 degree temp difference and my house is so inefficient and went from 8 cords to 3.5 cords. I don't need to keep the area around the stove 85 now, so I can try to keep the other area 70 in my house.

Now, comes the ultimate convection unit. The Lopi Answer. It's an insert true & true, convection shroud surrounding it completely on all 5 sides. But, you can get legs for it and put it into the open. It's the only "insert" that can be in the open, and has all the benefits of an inserts producing lots of extra heated air, without the inserts loss of some heat to the masonary. It's actually a "convection wood stove" of the truest form, the ultimate wood convection heater. It's too bad it's the only one of its kind that I've seen and I've looked everywhere. Some stoves have heat shields only on the rear, some have it on the sides and rear but not top and bottom, an insert has it on all sides but can't sit in the open. The lopi answer is the only one like an insert but can be in the open. I really wish there was a large model, the lopi answer is a very small unit but, probably what I'm going to put in my basement to heat it. Give me extra amounts of convection heat anyday.

[Edit] Not to say the Lopi Answer is the only one that has the heat shields on 5 sides and can be in the open, I just haven't come across another. I'm still out if the Pacific Energy "Fusion" is also one with heat shields on 5 sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.