Inserts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

magsf11

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 31, 2009
buffalo ny
needs some help with what some of the good inserts are out there. My friend wants to get one and ask me to get some insight on them. thanks for any help and stay warm, they are calling for snow tonight.

In my opinion, Harman and Quadrafire are the top two pellet stoves and inserts. The old Whitfields were good but they have been acquired by Lennox several years ago. I've had pellet stoves for 13 years now and those are the only two I would buy today.

I've done a ton of research including seeing each model in action. My favorite is the Enviro M55 cast insert. It slides out like the Harman, but is quieter and has more BTU's. It is well engineered and built to last. It beat out both the Harman Accentra (on noise) and the Quadrafire Mt Vernon (reliability) in my research.
Flynfrfun

magsf11,

There are lots of good inserts to choose from these days. St Croix has got a couple of dandy stoves. The Ashley MF and The York. Harman has a couple but there pricey. Enviro has 4 inserts to choose from starting with the cast M55(also pricey) to an entry level insert. Napoleon has 2 to choose from. Englander has an insert too.

What he needs to do is get a price range and a rough guess of the required BTU's needed. Then start shopping. If there is a Mrs. involved the looks come into play. That's when it gets tougher.

What is the rough sqft he's trying to heat?

+1 St Croix York

j-takeman said:
magsf11,

There are lots of good inserts to choose from these days. St Croix has got a couple of dandy stoves. The Ashley MF and The York. Harman has a couple but there pricey. Enviro has 4 inserts to choose from starting with the cast M55(also pricey) to an entry level insert. Napoleon has 2 to choose from. Englander has an insert too.

What he needs to do is get a price range and a rough guess of the required BTU's needed. Then start shopping. If there is a Mrs. involved the looks come into play. That's when it gets tougher.

What is the rough sqft he's trying to heat?

Our friend is heating 2,00sq ft, 2 story. I was thinking of a St Croix myself since I have one, but wanted some feed back from other members. Since it is crappy out side today might head out to the shops and get info. :cheese:

flynfrfun said:
I've done a ton of research including seeing each model in action. My favorite is the Enviro M55 cast insert. It slides out like the Harman, but is quieter and has more BTU's. It is well engineered and built to last. It beat out both the Harman Accentra (on noise) and the Quadrafire Mt Vernon (reliability) in my research.
Flynfrfun

If anyone has any real world experience with the M55 Cast Insert, please post on the forum. From what I've read it is a very good unit. I need one now!!! :)

AR

ARGlock said:
flynfrfun said:
Flynfrfun

If anyone has any real world experience with the M55 Cast Insert, please post on the forum. From what I've read it is a very good unit. I need one now!!! :)

AR
ARGlock,
The M55 cast insert has the same mechanics or "engine" as the M55 steel freestanding. So any reviews of the M55 freestanding are going to be applicable to the insert except the looks will be different.

Things I like about the design:
-is on rails, so it slides out for maintenance.
-the rail system has a "tower" that is attached to the stove pipe. This means that when you slide the unit out/in for maintenance, you don't have to get back there to disconnect the pipe, it's like a docking station.

Those are two things are are pertinent to the insert. All the other features you can find pretty easy like the agitator system and etc. Plus, from what I understand the Enviro's have a pretty good dependability record.
I just ordered mine last night. Can't wait for it to be installed. Will report back when it's up and running.
Flynfrfun

I just fired up my M55 cast insert for the first time 20 minutes ago for it's maiden voyage. It's been a long process, from choosing which stove to purchase and then to finally getting it installed. I installed it myself. As always, it takes longer than expected, but overall it wasn't that bad. Right now just trying to get things dialed in as far as combustion air and feed rate but all seems well so far. I also have a Quad Castille Freestanding unit which I love, but this new M55 in so much more quiet. The exhaust blower on my castille is louder than the exhaust/combustion blower on the M55 combined. The first con to the stove so far is the ash pan. It only has three sides. Not sure how that's going to go when I pull it out to dump ashes.

Love my Quad...

Nothing like a Quad Mount Vernon AE (in my opinion). Starting third season with not service issues. Looking forward to saving lots of money now that my oil guy is $2.80/gallon and going up.

flynfrfun said:
ARGlock said:
flynfrfun said:
Flynfrfun

AR
ARGlock,
The M55 cast insert has the same mechanics or "engine" as the M55 steel freestanding. So any reviews of the M55 freestanding are going to be applicable to the insert except the looks will be different.

Things I like about the design:
-is on rails, so it slides out for maintenance.
-the rail system has a "tower" that is attached to the stove pipe. This means that when you slide the unit out/in for maintenance, you don't have to get back there to disconnect the pipe, it's like a docking station.

Those are two things are are pertinent to the insert. All the other features you can find pretty easy like the agitator system and etc. Plus, from what I understand the Enviro's have a pretty good dependability record.
I just ordered mine last night. Can't wait for it to be installed. Will report back when it's up and running.
Flynfrfun

That's good to hear Flynfrfun! It looks like this unit is a real winner! I'm seriously considering one to replace my Quad CB1200i. The 15,000 Btu increase will be nice since I'm trying to heat over 3,000 square ft.

Keep us updated on your unit.

Stay Warm,
AR

Status
Not open for further replies.