Inside single wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trey1979

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2018
Mississippi
What is a normal cruising temperature on the single wall pipe?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What is a normal cruising temperature on the single wall pipe?

On my regency i always tried to cruise between 250 and 300 on the surface of single wall.

On my regency i always tried to cruise between 250 and 300 on the surface of single wall.
I'm usually in the 300s but it will get to 450 pretty fast close to 500 I start smelling paint again

I'm dealing with a new heater and wet wood this year what would be considered too hot

Chimeny is 4'6 on the inside with 2 three foot triple wall on the outside that's 10'6. Would another 3 foot on the outside help?

It's got that hot on a reload not good aye

Not good but not the end of the world either.

If you have wet wood, you'll have to run hot to 1, keep the fire lit, and 2, try to keep the chimney somewhat clean.

That said, try cutting the air back a bit earlier. And check your chimney often to see if it needs to be cleaned.

I believe the book calls for a 12 ft chimeny I only got
10 6 after I put a tape on it

I already cut enough I want have to deal with this crap next year

The HT2000 is a pretty easy breathing stove. I wouldn't add any pipe if you are not getting smoke spillage when opening the door. Draft is going to get stronger as outdoor temps drop. Try closing down the air sooner, when the flue pipe temp reaches about 250 and see how that works.

The HT2000 is a pretty easy breathing stove. I wouldn't add any pipe if you are not getting smoke spillage when opening the door. Draft is going to get stronger as outdoor temps drop. Try closing down the air sooner, when the flue pipe temp reaches about 250 and see how that works.
I turn the air all the way down and open it about 1 forth inch and it runs in the 300s my wife cut it all the way back one day and it smoked the window black I was gone to work

With wet wood it is very easy to go from too hot to a smoldering mess. That’s mostly since you need lots of air to burn the wet wood somewhat cleanly. The sweet range is smaller.

What’s even worse is that you’ll have a new load going pretty much perfectly and then an hour later once the excess water burns off the fuel really heats up and delivers tons of wood gas to the fire so it can run away in the night. That water boiling off was keeping the fuel cold and dormant. When your wood is dry from the start you can really appreciate the difference.

Reactions: begreen
With wet wood it is very easy to go from too hot to a smoldering mess. That’s mostly since you need lots of air to burn the wet wood somewhat cleanly. The sweet range is smaller.

What’s even worse is that you’ll have a new load going pretty much perfectly and then an hour later once the excess water burns off the fuel really heats up and delivers tons of wood gas to the fire so it can run away in the night. That water boiling off was keeping the fuel cold and dormant. When your wood is dry from the start you can really appreciate the difference.
This wood want be a problem long..next year its going to be seasoned..thanks for all the info the manual doesn't state any stove pipe max are min temperatures. My common sense told me that 500 was getting to hot

Many of the thermometers made for stoves are labeled with suggested ranges for operation. Too hot, too cold, ideal. The temperature ranges are specific to single wall pipe or to stove top but are a reasonable guide.

250-450 is a good range for the pipe. That 450 is really just during warm up and I’d like to see the pipe at 300-400 most of the time. Hotter at the beginning and cooler as the fuel finishes the rapid gas off stages.

Stove top is a little more interesting. I don’t mind seeing 750 there. Your cast iron clad stove will be interest to monitor. Maybe between can offer operational insight.

The hearth looks great. The mantle is very stout. I don’t know if it is safe there but maybe begreen has some insight.

Many of the thermometers made for stoves are labeled with suggested ranges for operation. Too hot, too cold, ideal. The temperature ranges are specific to single wall pipe or to stove top but are a reasonable guide.

250-450 is a good range for the pipe. That 450 is really just during warm up and I’d like to see the pipe at 300-400 most of the time. Hotter at the beginning and cooler as the fuel finishes the rapid gas off stages.

Stove top is a little more interesting. I don’t mind seeing 750 there. Your cast iron clad stove will be interest to monitor. Maybe between can offer operational insight.

The hearth looks great. The mantle is very stout. I don’t know if it is safe there but maybe begreen has some insight.
Mine is running pretty good in the 300s but not today temps rising to the 70s with tornado warnings

Your cast iron clad stove will be interest to monitor. Maybe between can offer operational insight.

Trey has the all steel HT2000. I think you are thinking of the new T5 install by gopja. I have my concerns about that mantel too.

@Trey1979 can you go up to your forum account settings and add your stove make model to the signature line? When we get a lot of postings going on it's easy to lose track of who has what. And when you get a chance, could turn off the Tapatalk signature line too. That just advertises the phone type. Here's how to do it.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/how-to-post-on-the-hearth-com-forums.139782/#post-2257451

Trey has the all steel HT2000. I think you are thinking of the new T5 install by gopja. I have my concerns about that mantel too.

@Trey1979 can you go up to your forum account settings and add your stove make model to the signature line? When we get a lot of postings going on it's easy to lose track of who has what. And when you get a chance, could turn off the Tapatalk signature line too. That just advertises the phone type. Here's how to do it.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/how-to-post-on-the-hearth-com-forums.139782/#post-2257451

You’re right, I seem to have completely screwed up and merged the threads in my head. Ack!

Reactions: bholler
You’re right, I seem to have completely screwed up and merged the threads in my head. Ack!
It happens to all of us from time to time lol.

Why I like the stove in the signature line. It gets worse as you get older.

Good to hear that you have no smoke spillage issues, now if you start to have them its prob the chimney starting to get build up, so first check the cap and run the brush through the pipe, better be safe then sorry when burning the wetter stuff.

Did I get it right?

2018 drolet ht2000

Well, you set the Tapatalk signature to the stove type, not the forum signature, but that's better than the phone ad.