Install a barometric damper?? Catalytic retrofit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cornerstone4.2

Dec 20, 2017
Stardust41
Firstly, I’ve been considering installing a barometric damper. I would most likely keep my regular damper upstream from it in case of emergencies. Anyone have any input? Pros? Cons?

Secondly, I’ve seen kits that u can add a catalytic converter to your smoke pipe. It opens and closes like a regular damper. Looks like, at least in my case, it would be too far away from the fire box to light up.

Here’s a picture of my set up, as well as the catalytic converter add on....

377f9681918d679d40259f3bdd8706dd.jpg264d1378076582ef0a9072ed4a58aee6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I moved your thread into the classic room as I believe that is a better fit for your setup and question than the wood shed.

A barometric damper is not a good choice. It will introduce cold air into your setup, reducing draft, cooling your exhaust, and increasing the chances of accumulating creosote. That would also make an add on catalytic most likely not function, and an added restriction that could back smoke up into the house.

Additionally, I am concerned about what is under your stove. Is the tile this stove sitting on mounted to a concrete slab? If this tile is on a basic backer board and wood framing underneath, I am not confident you have met hearth requirements for this installation.

Also, the wood to the right of the stove is most definitely being stored, if even for temporary purposes, well within the requirements this stove has to combustibles.

I moved your thread into the classic room as I believe that is a better fit for your setup and question than the wood shed.

A barometric damper is not a good choice. It will introduce cold air into your setup, reducing draft, cooling your exhaust, and increasing the chances of accumulating creosote. That would also make an add on catalytic most likely not function, and an added restriction that could back smoke up into the house.

Additionally, I am concerned about what is under your stove. Is the tile this stove sitting on mounted to a concrete slab? If this tile is on a basic backer board and wood framing underneath, I am not confident you have met hearth requirements for this installation.

Also, the wood to the right of the stove is most definitely being stored, if even for temporary purposes, well within the requirements this stove has to combustibles.

Thanks for your input on the barometric damper.

And thanks for your concern about the safety issues. The tile IS on a cement slab and the install is up to code. AIso, I had a few pieces of wet wood that I set by the stove for a few minutes. I’m able to store about a 1/4 inside (5 feet+ away from the stove).
-Safety First

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pen