Install Electric Outlet Behind Fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

longislandcamper

Nov 20, 2021
Long Island
We're having a medium flush wood insert installed in our fireplace in about 40 days. They told us we have the option to have an outlet installed inside the existing fireplace to plug the blowers in. If we didn't do that then we'd have to have the power cord running somewhere from the front of the unit plugging into a nearby wall outlet.

Obviously, having an outlet installed in the existing fireplace would give us the cleanest look but are their any other pros and cons associated with either option?

An outlet behind the insert must be heat proof and must have a switch in the room to turn it off for servicing.

Are there any safety concerns about have the outlet behind the insert, even with a heat proof outlet? It it better to just have the power cord come out from the front of the unit and plug into an existing wall outlet?

Along with what Begreen said I would look for a heavy duty receptacle I would not want to pull the unit because a cheap light duty receptacle failed. Also the insulation of the wire needs to be rated for the temperature and should be shielded if surfaced mounted in side the masonry fireplace.

I put one in when I got my fireplace insert installed. Just to be safe, I used a metal box recessed into the fireplace wall, cover plate and stuck a big piece of insulation between the fireplace insert and the outlet. And just to be safe I also enclosed the power chord (of the fireplace insert) in a high temperature heat shield/jacket I got from amazon that's rated for very high heat.

Are there any safety concerns about have the outlet behind the insert, even with a heat proof outlet? It it better to just have the power cord come out from the front of the unit and plug into an existing wall outlet?
That's certainly simpler and less complicated.

My heatilator fireplace was retrofitted with gas logs by some previous owner. To do this they took the ash dump out and ran the gas pipe up that way. I ran power up through that ash clean out, with a heavy duty (140degree C wire) extension cord, and when they plugged it in they dropped it down the ash dump. I can access that from outside, but is sealed off and dry. I'm not sure if that's up to code and if this is even recommended, but they said this was perfect, and I've not had any problems last year and this year with it being this way

I'd definitely recommend hiding those dang cords, a much cleaner look and you will appreciate it later.

Thanks everyone. I'd much rather hide the cords if possible. Normally I'd do projects like this myself but I'm having an electrician do it along with a few other things as well.

When I went to local stove dealers to see some (modern) inserts, I observed that they used the space immediately behind them to store wood and bags of pellet fuel. It doesn't get real hot back there.

I just dropped a handybox on armored cable behind mine. Ran the AC through a mortar joint.

Ok guys unless the insert specifically allows otherwise. The blower by code needs to be plugged into an accessable plug in the same room . I see absolutely no safety issue at all if that outlet is switched in that room but it doesn't comply with code.

Ok guys unless the insert specifically allows otherwise. The blower by code needs to be plugged into an accessable plug in the same room . I see absolutely no safety issue at all if that outlet is switched in that room but it doesn't comply with code.
If that's the wording then the plug is in the same room if it is in the fireplace. I think there is a more specific electric code here that trumps this. The primary concern is for the safety of someone servicing the appliance. One needs to know the power is off before working on the blower, or its controls, thus the requirement for a disconnect method within xx distance. @fbelec do I have this correct?

If that's the wording then the plug is in the same room if it is in the fireplace. I think there is a more specific electric code here that trumps this. The primary concern is for the safety of someone servicing the appliance. One needs to know the power is off before working on the blower, or its controls, thus the requirement for a disconnect method within xx distance. @fbelec do I have this correct?
You may be correct. I am not positive. Much of it will depend on the wording in the manual as well

Begreen is correct it is a violation of NEC article 314.29(A)
314.29(A) In Buildings and Other Structures. Boxes and conduit bodies shall be installed so the contained wiring can be accessed without removing any part of the building or structure.
The only way it maybe legal is if the wiring is accessible by removing a cover or trim on the fireplace and you would be required to have room to adequately service the wiring. I had to remove outlets for projectors that were cancelled with in a lay in ceiling to meet code.

Insert slated to be installed in about two weeks and had an electrician come today to install the wiring.

CB80F44A-B653-4739-97BC-65D3571C458E.jpeg

Is he going to secure the box? Typically when romex is run through any type of masonry it is sleeved, the wiring should be meet code as long as its not run outdoors first to to get into the firebox. That would be in violation of NEC article 334.12(B)(4) damp locations.
If I was doing this job I would have used extreme temperature liquid tight flexible metallic conduit. and strapped in to the sides of the fire box with 1 hole straps, I believe that is rated around 300F. Wire ampacity changes with heat also some insulations break down, I am not sure how hot it will get there. I had to use a similar product once on a gas fire place, the inspector failed regular MC because of the heat rating.

Reactions: clancey
Electrician came two weeks ago and I left all the fireplace instructions from the dealer and told her to show the electrician. She didn’t. Pregnancy brain. Lol

I showed the electrician later that day and he said he’d have to come back out and change things. They just left:)

Insert was scheduled to be installed this Saturday but the dealer called and said it might be a few more days but nothing crazy.

CD4845EE-E9DE-427B-A6AE-D6C7D66FB5CA.jpeg

Reactions: PAbeech
Looks much better just a few jiffy clips to hold the wire down and anchor the box and you should be good to go