Install Fireplace or Zero Clearance Insert - Alaska Remodel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2007
Homer, Alaska
Hello All, I am looking for some feedback from the experts on the forum. I live in Homer, Alaska. I have built 2 houses in the last 20 years, and have installed zero clearance inserts in both of them. (RSF Opal in the first, RSF Dela in the second). Both were great, but I am currently remodeling a house now and need some input. I am going to be installing a fireplace/zero clearance unit in the house. The winter temperatures are pretty chilly. I liked the fact that the zero clearance fireplaces I put in the previous houses were air tight, and I didn't have any negative impact on my energy bills by installing them. On days when I could keep them fired, I got the benefit of the heat from them, but when I was at work, I didn't have them sucking warm room air up the chimney. The only down side is that although they do have glass doors, you don't get the true enjoyment of a fireplace from them, even when the fireplace is used with the doors open. With the current remodel, we are contemplating putting a masonry fireplace in. I know that we would love the asthetics of it, but I am worried about my heating bills actually going up after the install due to all the heat going up the chimney when it isn't burning. Even when it is being fired, won't it suck all the warm air out of the house due to the cold climate? The unit I am considering is by a manufacturer in Georgia, Fire Rock. What would you recommend for a fireplace/zero clearance insert in Alaska? Would you recommend a Fire Rock masonry fireplace? Am I crazy for even considering it? Thanks for the feedback.
Cheers,
Greg

I would think in Alaska you want the most heat possible. In your case you want your cake and heat it too! (pun intended).

Various studies shows open masonry fireplace get a lot of air movement in the house. So much so that it may actually cool the house.

An alternative is to look at large clean face ZC fireplace. They still are not high-efficiency - actually no BTU or efficiency ratings but they are better than a masonry fireplace. Since you're a RSF guy you may want to look at the Rennaissance Rumsford (2 models). Valcourt also makes similar units.

Greg,
Have you considered a masonry heater? Considering the population, there is a thriving masonry heater construction community in Alaska (at least 5 masons). Masonry heaters are common in Northern Europe and have a centuries old tradition of efficiency. The college in Fairbanks has built one and it is on display. Here is another one,

The cold climate housing research center in Fairbanks has a podcast program that has some good info on masonry heaters (and other stuff, too). The 12th one down is a podcast about masonry heaters,

http://www.cchrc.org/podcasts

It's always a trade off between aesthetics and necessities like heating. In a cold, damp climate I would place the emphasis as you have in the past, on heating first. RSF makes good units. You might also want to take a look at the BIS Tradition.

We love our new Napoleon NZ3000 ZC fireplace.....it is an amazing heater, I can tell ya that!

Here is a link to our install. Yes it is a long thread, yes it was some hard work. But well worth it in the end. We've had some bugs to work out of the stove, but this winter, we should be good to go. Best part is, it looks like an antique fireplace, when in reality it's a modern high efficiency heater/furnace.

Also check out the Quadrafire 7100, and there are many other models of ZC fireplaces out there to choose from. We fell in love with the wrought iron look of the NZ3000, that's one of the main reasons we bought it....

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/building-the-hearth-for-my-napoleon-nz3000-what-a-quest.74273/

I have the Quad 7100, great heater. Been dealing with a black glass issue that I ran out of time to get resolved before spring. You may inquire about it if you choose to go that direction.

If I could do it all again, I would get one of the new Blaze King freestanding stoves (I am dreamin' cause the wife would never have allowed it). You may not need the low and slow burning capabilities beings you live in Alaska though.

Good luck and happy shopping.

Welcome to the forum Greg! I have the Quad 7100FP and it is the primary source of heat for our 2964sqft 1-story house (newer construction). It does a really nice job of heating the house; we are pleased with its performance and aesthetics. That said if we lived in a different, colder climate I may have chosen a freestanding stove. In OR the winters are not that harsh, and aside from the 2 to 3wks during the winter where it is in the 20s during the day and teens/single digits at night, most of our 4 to 5 heating months are one big shoulder season. If we lived in a really cold climate, like Alaska, I would likely have installed a free-standing woodstove.

Best wishes to you!

I would think in Alaska you want the most heat possible. In your case you want your cake and heat it too! (pun intended).

Various studies shows open masonry fireplace get a lot of air movement in the house. So much so that it may actually cool the house.

An alternative is to look at large clean face ZC fireplace. They still are not high-efficiency - actually no BTU or efficiency ratings but they are better than a masonry fireplace. Since you're a RSF guy you may want to look at the Rennaissance Rumsford (2 models). Valcourt also makes similar units.

Fyrebug,
I checked out the Rennaissance Rumsford online. It appears to meet the needs that I have. We won't primarily be heating the house with the fireplace. We do want to have it for backup heat in power outages, which happen alot in the winter up here, and can get real interesting when it is cold out. However, honestly the main reason I want the fireplace is for ambiance. There is nothing better than having a wood fire on a cold night. It warms my head as much as the house. The Rumsford appears to hit all the important points for me. The only down side I can see is that the firebox/burn area looks to be shallow and not real wide. They only recommend 22" logs. The RSF Delta I put in my last house had a bigger capacity. Have you ever seen one of these fireplaces? How big is the firebox? Does anybody else have any input about them? I searched this website, but didn't find any user reviews or comments, just more questions like mine. I would like to get a bit of feedback on this unit. Any replies from people with experiance with the Rennasissance Rumsford 1500 would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.