Install Planning - Stove selection/sizing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ian105

Feb 10, 2014
Southwest Michigan
I'm new to residential woodburning, just burned in cabins in the past in pre-epa stoves. I have been researching and reading till my eyes hurt and I think decided on a BK Chinook 30 for a basement install. Its an expensive stove - but I figure If Im going to spend the money to do this - its getting done right so I can get the most out of it.

I wanted to share some of the stats and get some input on sizing and the method I used to determine heating/BTU requirements.

House is a ranch ~1800SF with full basement - so 3800 SF of total envelope. All well insulated including basement walls w/ good windows (newer construction) About half the basement is finished, with the rest of it closed off. It stays in the 50's

Given this winter has been especially cold I thought It would be a good time to take some stats in terms of heating requirements.

Located just north of Indiana in Southwest Michigan to give an idea of the climate
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/46616

91k BTU per gallon of propane (82k usable heat when burned at 90% eff). Usage this month has been around 5 gal per day, so 410k BTU needed per day.
so 17k BTU/HR needed on average.

Given the Chinook is rated from 12k to 36k this seems to be a good fit meaning for most of the season I will get 12+ hour burn times. Burn time is a priority - don't want to reload more than 2x a day - which is why I decided on BK. Thoughts?

I want to size to handle 80% of the heating requirements. The idea for a basement hearth started with wanting a fireplace to warm up the space - but then has kind of morphed. Figure if we are going to do this, make the project pay for itself over a few years. Already have a propane fireplace upstairs--don't want another

I have a good amount of free wood available, and even if I have to buy hardwood can be had for 150/cord, which means its at least 50% cheaper than propane @ $2/gal.

Also I have decided where I am going to place the stove, can anyone see a reason not to go ahead and install the Class A before purchasing the stove?
Thinking I want to get that up in the Spring, then finalize the stove/hearth.

Im going to end up around 27FT I think with a through the wall and up install. Exposed pipe for now, plan to chase it in later.

Any considerations I should think about around the wall thimble in regards to doing Faux rock behind the stove at some point in the future? Its just a drywall wall now and will stay that way probably till next winter.

Thinking I will install the Class A myself - then have the stove professionally installed so they can sign off on it. Still need to find out what the permit requirements are here before starting anything.

Any insight on the above from those who have gone through this planning process would be appreciated!

Sounds like you're on the right track.
I'd rather see the flue straight up and out but I understand it's not always possible.

If you buy wood, buy it yesterday. Wood takes time to season and modern stoves want seasoned wood. Oak and hickory take a couple years to season well so get maple, ash, beech if possible for your next season's burning.

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.