Install qoutes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
Okay, now it's time to hold my hand through the next part of the process. The install.
The install quotes are all over the house in both price and in what should be done.

The guy that I felt the most confident about gave me this quote :ahhh:

The quote for the relining of your chimney is as follows: clean chimney prior to relining with a six inch insulated stainless steel liner to vent an free standing woodstove. Liner to be positively connected to stove with a stove adaptor and covered with a stainless steel top plate and a stainless raincap.
A. Material @ $1111.00
B. Freight @ $75.00
C Labor @ $700.00

Just to compare - a non-insulate liner of 20' is approx 450.00 where I live. The install cost for my stove was $700, which included WETT certification for insurance (not sure if that's required in US or not). If the insulated stuff is double then that would be close, plus the other things like stove adapter.

Did you get a quote from whomever you are buying the stove from? Sounds like there's a few other "bits and pieces" of work to make it right, they do all take time and money...

See if you can get any references from them and check them out. Did they do a good job, was it done right the first time, no call backs etc...

You also have to consider that done wrong, this is something that could kill you - not something you want to cheap out on.

What stove did you get in the end?

I ended up getting the Englander nc-13. Thanks to the information from Charlie (ckarotka) I picked it up for $499 with a price match at Lowe's, so no install quote there. Will ask about the bottom block.
Gotta run-I have another guy here in about 5 minutes for another quote. I agree about paying for good work. I did get a much lower price, but wasn't confident with the level of expertise and care.

eta In some ways I'm glad to be shopping for the install instead of having bought stove and install from the same place because they are really 2 separate products. Plus it's been a learning experience to have different people come out to eye my chimney. Each with different things to say.

Sounds about right to me.

Sounds like you did OK on the stove. Sometimes it's nice to have multiple people look at the same thing to get different perspectives. Check references if you can.

That's what I like about getting several estimates. No matter which you go with, you've learned something from each of them in the process, and are usually able to ask more intelligent questions as the process progresses.

If that quote includes a stainless chase topper, as it sounds like it does.. that's a lot of money right there, I have had 4 estimates on mine, and so far the lowest was $420, and that's with me doing the install.

The shop where we bought our stove gets $850 labor for a stove install.

The quote I got this evening came in about the same. The guy took a lot of time and consideration. This stainless chimney topper quote was $350.

One guy was here for five minutes. He told me he sees these old masonry chimneys all the time. Didn't need to actually look in it to know.

DanCorcoran said:
That's what I like about getting several estimates. No matter which you go with, you've learned something from each of them in the process, and are usually able to ask more intelligent questions as the process progresses.
True that. It was hard to make the time-I missed my son's pinewood derby race!-but I learned a lot.

BrotherBart said:
Sounds about right to me.

+1 in line with my install on labor .... doing similar work

Status
Not open for further replies.