Install vent question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Westernmassguy

Feb 20, 2021
Chicopee Ma
Ecochoice p35

So first time installer here. I cant go straight out the wall due to a circuit being there. I plan to go up(inside) and then out the wall. I
20211118_185138.jpg
cant find diagrams for it in my install guide or the duravent booklet. So look at my pics, is what im trying to do allowed?
Thanks 20211118_185126.jpg

The inside looks good and is a pretty common install if you don't go straight out and up. Something to check is the distance to what looks like a window there to the right. I think it's something like 4 foot clearance needed, but I'm going from memory and it may be different or changed. . Also check any other hazards and clearances outside. Ideally, you'll want to be between the studs when you cut the hole for the thimble. it's a pain to start cutting and find a stud right in the way. An outside air kit is also highly recommended, but that's a much smaller hole and doesn't need a thimble or heat protection so you can probably get around the circuit in your wall.

Ray

Reactions: Westernmassguy
The inside looks good and is a pretty common install if you don't go straight out and up. Something to check is the distance to what looks like a window there to the right. I think it's something like 4 foot clearance needed, but I'm going from memory and it may be different or changed. . Also check any other hazards and clearances outside. Ideally, you'll want to be between the studs when you cut the hole for the thimble. it's a pain to start cutting and find a stud right in the way. An outside air kit is also highly recommended, but that's a much smaller hole and doesn't need a thimble or heat protection so you can probably get around the circuit in your wall.

Ray
Ray, thank you for your reply and yes. This is a mock up of sorts. Just got back from the store with the chimney. I will be using an o.a.k which will allow me to get close to that window. I have to get in between studs and unfortunately have to cut a hole and hope for the best. I have minimal leeway to the left and right if I am wrong.

Reactions: Ocelot
Looks good to me.:cool:
Just want to say thanks for helping me on my first prob back in feb. You are a big help on this site. I have done a lot of work on my house this year and im finally getting around to install this stove. I will send you a pic of her fired up when it finally happens. 200 dollar stove that didnt run, fixed, painted, diy tile hearth pad. Cant wait.

Reactions: Washed-Up
its always better to go up inside then strait out... All stoves the outlet is in different locations so they will never line up with the old hole.... just ask me how i know..LOL

The outside air kit can go up as needed too. Just as long as the opening outside is below the level of the exhaust outlet.