Installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterfield

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2013
New Hampshire
I will be having an Accentra 52i installed in a few weeks and the hearth fireplace opening is about three inches higher than the trim that comes with the stove. I was going to have two rows of brick put on the top to reduce the height of the hearth but a masonry guy told me it would be easier to add two rows of bricks on the bottom of the fireplace floor, backfill the fireplace floor with quik-crete cement, effectively raising the hearth floor a few inches to close the gap at the top. He said I could also put down a nice piece of granite, backfill the same way and accomplish the same result. I know what he is saying but will really work? If I did something like this, how far beyond the fireplace opening wall would I have to come out to fully support the stove?

I had a similar issue when I had mine installed there was about 2" too tall at the top what I did was tiled the face of the fireplace bringing the tiles down 2" at the top so the trim would fill the hole.my wife also didn't like the color of the bricks any way so she picked out tiles she liked and I put them in. Just look at the tile the trim and walls will be replaced in the spring

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 165
uploadfromtaptalk1412649118165.jpg

I opted to raise my stove up off the floor.

Reactions: Big papa
Looks really nice. You did a heak of a job there

Gorgeous.

I did my install a little different...

I built a new home in 2008 and put in a Harman insert, but it wasn't in a fire place. I built a fake fireplace and used ZC box.

So drawing on my previous install, i used a ZC Box in an existing fireplace and Built up the bottom to raise the stove off the ground. Didn't have a ton of room, but i got it off the ground alittle to give it some pop.

Yeah that's a heak of a lot nicer than my tile work
It looks good to me. I was doing a remodel on this old family farm house, and decided to give the fireplace a nice face lift!

Reactions: Peterfield
This confirms the adage of a picture is worth a thousand words. I can "see" that I'll need to bring out whatever material I use several inches and that is what I needed to know. Thanks much to those who responded.

05025babbb9ee9f5917f5165bce9d19e.jpg

a8b10449d07cc18674b640a9295ef43a.jpg

I have a Lopi wood stove insert in an old fireplace. I put some 1/8" steel plates around the stove, painted the same color as the stove, to fill in the gap. The fireplace is arched on the top,so bricks or tiles wouldn't have done the job.

Dave.

This confirms the adage of a picture is worth a thousand words. I can "see" that I'll need to bring out whatever material I use several inches and that is what I needed to know. Thanks much to those who responded.

Exactly the info I was looking for - many thanks!!

Send us some pics when it's done before and after

Send us some pics when it's done before and after

Will do. Because my hearth and wall is all brick, I am toying with laying down a slab of granite of the right width. That should compliment the brick nicely and my neighbor owns and runs a stone shop in town.

Interesting I thout I did good with my now boring tile job lol!

Nice

Well, I had a visit from a marble and granite representative and after he checked the hearth and fireplace areas, we've decided to use a 4" custom-cut granite stone placed on the floor of the entire brick hearth to raise the Accentra 52i sufficiently to completely cover the fireplace opening. I spent the weekend near Portland, ME and saw several brick buildings with granite trim in the Old Port area and thought the two complimented each other nicely. I'll post before, during and after pics when I can.

Reactions: Big papa
Well, I had a visit from a marble and granite representative and after he checked the hearth and fireplace areas, we've decided to use a 4" custom-cut granite stone placed on the floor of the entire brick hearth to raise the Accentra 52i sufficiently to completely cover the fireplace opening. I spent the weekend near Portland, ME and saw several brick buildings with granite trim in the Old Port area and thought the two complimented each other nicely. I'll post before, during and after pics when I can.

Sounds like its going to turn out great. I like the looks of granite, just never thought of using it around a stove. Should turn out great.

Status
Not open for further replies.