Installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Yawiney

Dec 20, 2011
West Sonoma County, CA
I have an 8" back venting stove.
The chimney boot in the roof is only 8", so to avoid making the hole bigger and getting a new one I would need to reduce to 6" before going into the box at the ceiling height. Also, 8" double wall is crazy expensive.
I have about 7 ft of height to get to the ceiling form the elbow out of the stove.
Ideally, I would stay 8" inside to get more heat and reduce to 6" at the box to save $ on the double wall pipe and avoid making a bigger hole in the roof ect..
Would venting be ok this way?
Is there short lengths of chimney brush extensions I could use to got up from the stove for the 8" section?
Any other ways to sweep the 8" section without taking it all apart every year?
Thanks.

The chimney boot in the roof is only 8", so to avoid making the hole bigger and getting a new one I would need to reduce to 6" before going into the box at the ceiling height. Also, 8" double wall is crazy expensive.
I have about 7 ft of height to get to the ceiling form the elbow out of the stove.
Ideally, I would stay 8" inside to get more heat and reduce to 6" at the box to save $ on the double wall pipe and avoid making a bigger hole in the roof ect..
Is there short lengths of chimney brush extensions I could use to got up from the stove for the 8" section?
Thanks.
if the stove is supposed to vent into an 8" pipe then the entire length of the chimney needs to be 8" ID pipe. Also, Class A pipe is required to pass through combustible materials (ceiling/roof) so you'll need to use that and not double wall.

the difference in cross-sectional area between 8" and 6" diameter pipe is almost a 50% reduction; your stove will not work properly

Thanks.
What stove is this for?

Reactions: begreen and Yawiney
Most 3.5cuft + stoves require 8" all the way due to exhaust volume output, on very rare occasions your planned setup can work, usually its from a 30ft + total run due to excessive draft, but even then, the stove will work but may not run as manufactured.. even more important today with all the clean burn tech built into those stoves from year 2000+

Reactions: Yawiney
Most 3.5cuft + stoves require 8" all the way due to exhaust volume output, on very rare occasions your planned setup can work, usually its from a 30ft + total run due to excessive draft, but even then, the stove will work but may not run as manufactured.. even more important today with all the clean burn tech built into those stoves from year 2000+
I got about 8 ft from the elbow to the ceiling/box and less than 2' to the roof. I can't see supporting 20 ft from the roof line. If that's what i would need to get draft I will have to just get the 10" double wall and bite the bullet on the expense of it.

Heating my garage which i want to be able to work in year round.
You do know woodstoves are not allowed by code in any garages in the US right?

What stove make and model was this for?

What stove make and model was this for?
It's an old Fisher. I'm looking into a mini-split now though because i was going to put it in my garage. The previous owner had a stove in there and that's why there's already a collar to fit the 6" double wall. My hope was to reduce down to that at the box.
I'm going to see if it could be grandfathered in since it was that way when I bought it. Otherwise I'll be getting a mini split.