Installation questions / clearance issues with Enerzone destination 1.5 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whaler1777

Dec 6, 2019
New York
Hi gang.. Im as green as they come at the moment with wood burning stoves but I have a ton of seasoned wood and an enerzone destination 1.5 insert that I am trying to install properly...

The problem lies with the fact that I have a "corner 90deg" fireplace opening.

Ive reviewed the minimum clearances for this unit and the manual and sbi both state that the minimum clearance for this unit to a sidewall is 25"
(I find this to be an extremely large number compared to their "solution" insert which has a clearance of 11") and I simply don't have that much room, I have 17" from my sidewall to the face of the insert.

I have done some reading and see that clearances can be reduced by adding a fireproof wall with an air gap of at least 1" behind it. Im stuck here as to how to do this... Do I leave the standard sheetrock behind the shield? Or do I remove the sheetrock and replace with durock? Do I leave a gap at the hearth extension? Should I leave a gap between the hearth extension and the wall so it runs below the hearth? Do I leave the gap above the hearth?

I also have the outlet for the blower mounted in that sidewall, is this something that can be left behind the heat shield or should I move it?

I really apologize for the extensive questions and appreciate any insight that you guys can give to me. Making sure that this is going to be a safe installation in my home that I share with my wife and children is my MAIN priority, along with following any fire safety codes/guidelines..

Thank you all in advance...

Here are a few photos of what I'm dealing with...
Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 4.33.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 4.33.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 4.33.24 PM.png

Hi gang.. Im as green as they come at the moment with wood burning stoves but I have a ton of seasoned wood and an enerzone destination 1.5 insert that I am trying to install properly...

The problem lies with the fact that I have a "corner 90deg" fireplace opening.

Ive reviewed the minimum clearances for this unit and the manual and sbi both state that the minimum clearance for this unit to a sidewall is 25"
(I find this to be an extremely large number compared to their "solution" insert which has a clearance of 11") and I simply don't have that much room, I have 17" from my sidewall to the face of the insert.

I have done some reading and see that clearances can be reduced by adding a fireproof wall with an air gap of at least 1" behind it. Im stuck here as to how to do this... Do I leave the standard sheetrock behind the shield? Or do I remove the sheetrock and replace with durock? Do I leave a gap at the hearth extension? Should I leave a gap between the hearth extension and the wall so it runs below the hearth? Do I leave the gap above the hearth?

I also have the outlet for the blower mounted in that sidewall, is this something that can be left behind the heat shield or should I move it?

I really apologize for the extensive questions and appreciate any insight that you guys can give to me. Making sure that this is going to be a safe installation in my home that I share with my wife and children is my MAIN priority, along with following any fire safety codes/guidelines..

Thank you all in advance...

Here are a few photos of what I'm dealing with...
View attachment 252983View attachment 252984View attachment 252985
Most of your questions need to be answered by the stove manufacturer.

That’s an odd setup. I doubt it would ever be an issue, but I agree with the above comment. You should ask SBI/Enerzone for some guidelines on your particular installation.