Installing 2nd stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EricHahn

Jan 8, 2015
Missouri
We are getting ready to install a second pellet stove in our basement. It will be close, but not directly under, our first stove. That one is an insert installed inside a brick fireplace. The basement unit will be run up and directly out, because running it through the fireplace results in a run that is too long.

My concern is that the exhaust from the basement unit will be too close to the air intake of the other one--about 6-8 feet away. I don't want to be breathing in pellet fumes from the new stove, in the upstairs unit.

Would increasing the length of exhaust pipe help? We could vent it higher than the intake of the other one.

Thank you.

My downstairs stove is directly under my main floor stove. However, everything runs out thru a basement window that is 4-5' to the side so the pipes from the stoves are 6-8' apart, and the basement pipes are lower than the main floor stoves. (yes, the window is properly blocked and caulked). I don't have any issues and they are directly facing the prevailing wind.

IMHO, If you can get the exhaust above the other OAK, that would be icing on the cake, but if not, you should be fine.

Yes it would be nice from the standpoint of the install to have proper separation. But you aren't ever going to smell the exhaust of the basement stove through the combustion of the second upstairs stove anyway, not happening.. If you get a smell in the house it will be from some crack in a wall etc but not because of combustion of your fireplace stove breathing exhaust of the basement stove, if that were the case you would already smell it with the one stove.. Now if the upstairs stove has no OAK, it could draw exhaust from the basement stove into the house due to negative pressure in the house, pretty much regardless of the two stoves orientation to one another. Just run OAK on both stoves and you bypass all that negative air mess.

Reactions: bogieb
Dumb question here
A pellet stove is a sealed unit from intake to exhaust right
so how could or would you smell air being drawn into the upstairs stove ?
The intake is under negative pressure would it not just be sucked into the fire box
and sent out through the exhaust !
Or am I not reading his question right ?

You are reading it right but if you are drawing in exhaust upstairs from the downstairs pellet stove, it may be oxygen deprived and could mess up how the upstairs stove burns.

Yep, both stoves really should have an OAK (outside air kit) for intake supply. Also with many manufacturers a basement install requires an OAK anyway. It's really easy for basement stoves to starve for air unless your basement is loaded with air leaks like mine LOL !

Last edited:
Reactions: bogieb
Dumb question here
A pellet stove is a sealed unit from intake to exhaust right
so how could or would you smell air being drawn into the upstairs stove ?
The intake is under negative pressure would it not just be sucked into the fire box
and sent out through the exhaust !
Or am I not reading his question right ?

That's how I read it too. That the occupant human would breath the exhaust. But Lake Girl is correct, there is a chance that the upper stove would suffer burn quality of the lower stove's exhaust is too close. IMO.

Reactions: bags