Installing a chimney through polycarbonate glazing in a greenhouse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says....I'm looking at options for installing a 6" pipe through the roof of a greenhouse. (a geodesic dome)

A few details:
The polycarb is 1/2" thick (16mm) 5 wall.
550 sq ft of floor space
It's 12ft 6" from the floor to the ceiling and it would be a straight run of pipe.
The stove will likely be either an Englander 13 nch or Madison.

I'd love to hear some ideas. Would you use a silicone boot in such an application or a more standard approach? I have some ideas but (all of them may be wrong...LOL) it would be nice to hear other thoughts/suggestions or from someone who has gone through a thin metal roof or polycarb roof in the same fashion. Thinking single wall up to a point...then transition and go through the roof. How hot do you think the flue might be 12 ft up?

Ideas appreciated. it's getting da mn cold out there... ;-)

57 views.....no replies/etc.

LOL...it looks like we may have stumbled into an area where there are no online "experts"???? Honestly?

>>>Totally amazing<<<....and definitely a first in my 20+ years of Internet access....

onward, through the fog!

Plenty of experts here but probably no one has gone thru a polycarb roof.Can you cut a big enough square to install a ceiling box,You are going to have to dissipate the heat before it hits the polycarb.

You are going to have to support the pipe somehow. What is the melting point of polycarbonate. I don't think it will hold much heat but good luck sounds like a challenge.

Well I did it a few years ago!!! I took out a square of polycarbonate from frame to frame and about 24" long. I rested that on the metal frame then cut out the hole for the flue and added the storm collar. Never melted anything. I will follow up time to leave for work

Status
Not open for further replies.