Q&A Installing a Fan to Move Heat between two rooms?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

My husband was wondering what would happen if we put a vent between the two walls near the ceiling and rigged some kind of fan to push some of the warm air from the living room into the kid's room. I thought that I read about some kind of pre-fabricated unit for doing this sort of thing but haven't been able to locate a distributor. Have you heard of anyone trying this? Are there any safety concerns? Any suggestions on moving the warm air into other parts of the house would be much appreciated.

Answer:

Yes, you have the right idea. I've used fans that were made for bath or kitchen exhaust and installed them in the ceiling..then installed a small duct from the output of the fan into the other rooms ceiling. There are also units that mount into walls - called room to room fans. make certain that you get a quiet one. I've seen them at electrical supply houses..but the simple ones might be at Home Depo, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.