Installing an oversized stove for the future?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdInCanada

Sep 13, 2020
Yukon Territory
Hey everyone,

Some Info:
My house is 2000 sq. ft. split evenly between two levels. The top floor is a Panabode cedar log home with sub par insulation for my climate (only 4 inch wide logs in the Yukon where we see -40 C/F or colder every winter). The bottom floor was added later and it is regular construction with proper insulation. The two levels are not connected as the previous owners took out the stairs to have a rental suite, which I am currently still renting out.

Upstairs is heated by a 2015 Blaze King Princess non cat which is big enough to keep us warm in the coldest weather even while burning spruce/aspen. The downstairs has a ~1995 RCF stove. I'm not sure of the model but its a big one. it has ~18 ft of 7 inch (it might be 8 inch not sure) Class A from the stove all the way to the cap. That stove heated the entire house for ~15 years. The issue with the RCF is that it is not certified anymore and way too close (~3") to the wall for my insurance. In addition it needs two new boxes for where it goes through the floor and the roof of the house as well as a bigger hearth pad. As far as I know it hasn't been used in at least 5 years. The inside looks pretty burnt out as well. Currently heating the downstairs with the oil monitor since I personally don't trust a renter with a wood stove, even if it was a legal one.

My Question/Conundrum:
My wife and I want to rebuild the staircase in a few (<5) years and heat the entire house from downstairs with a large stove, preferably a Blaze King King 40. While leaving the Princess upstairs as a backup.

My brother and his wife are moving back up north and will be renting from us come the fall, hopefully for a few years. I obviously trust them to run a stove. Should I go ahead this summer and install the King with a new chimney/hearth to heat only 1000 sq. ft. for now until the stairs are put in? Or should I get a smaller stove/chimney set up that's more suited for the space but knowing I'll have to re-do the install in a few years? I really don't want to have to keep two stoves going all the time once the house is joined. I could possibly cut registers into the floor to allow heat to rise to upstairs, but I'm worried that even turned way down the King will be too big for just downstairs, even temporarily. But saving the cost of a second stove/install is huge, as I could do the new hearth pad and wall protection but the stove and chimney has to be done professionally for my insurance. Also, if need be the chimney could be extended by one or two 4-foot sections of Class A easily. Has anyone run into a similar situation or installed a King 40 in a small space?

Sorry for the wall of text!

Any input is appreciated!

Have you check into some of those wood boilers or pellet boilers--I do not know much about them but they sure do look like they could do the job of heating maybe even both areas--just do not know if that would work? They are expensive but last a long time I believe if well cared for and even could be outside I think in some sort of protection--just a idea here...old mrs clancey

Have you check into some of those wood boilers or pellet boilers--I do not know much about them but they sure do look like they could do the job of heating maybe even both areas--just do not know if that would work? They are expensive but last a long time I believe if well cared for and even could be outside I think in some sort of protection--just a idea here...old mrs clancey
I've definitely thought about it but the cost of the boiler and installing the piping and radiators and such to heat my house and shop would probably be in the $20K range and that's more than I can afford right now. Might have to dig deeper into it though since loading one firebox to heat the house and shop would be sweet.

The King can go down to about 15000 BTU per hour. That's the output of a rather small stove. (It can go much higher of course.)

Also, if, when the stairs are there, heat from downstairs but live upstairs, a King will require less trips down the stairs.

The main question is whether you'll be able to get enough BTUs upstairs to heat the less well Insulated upstairs. (Yes, creating cold air dumps down will be needed to get enough warm air up.)

The King can go down to about 15000 BTU per hour. That's the output of a rather small stove. (It can go much higher of course.)

Also, if, when the stairs are there, heat from downstairs but live upstairs, a King will require less trips down the stairs.

The main question is whether you'll be able to get enough BTUs upstairs to heat the less well Insulated upstairs. (Yes, creating cold air dumps down will be needed to get enough warm air up.)
Sounds like the King will be a good choice then! We will also be adding insulation upstairs in the coming years but that's another can of worms entirely. Also for 15 years the old owners ran with just one stove so its obviously at least tolerable. Until then I could handle firing up the Princess when the weather gets stupid. We hit -45C / -49F the other week!

Sounds like the King will be a good choice then! We will also be adding insulation upstairs in the coming years but that's another can of worms entirely. Also for 15 years the old owners ran with just one stove so its obviously at least tolerable. Until then I could handle firing up the Princess when the weather gets stupid. We hit -45C / -49F the other week!
That is the beauty of a cat stove with thermostat: a large range of outputs.