Installing Harman XXV Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Oregun

Burning Hunk
Jan 12, 2017
Oregon
I am installing a used Harman XXV pellet stove in my house replacing a wood stove.
Had the wood stove for the last 30 years.
At the ceiling is 8" triple wall pipe going straight up through the roof with a rotating cap.
From the ceiling to the stove (straight down) is about 7'. Stove has a optional vertical
adapter with a 1 foot section of 3" of pipe. Looks like its designed for 6" pipe to fit over the
short section of 3" pipe.
Looking for any recommendations for the ceiling to stove piping configuration.
Will need an 6" to 8" adapter at the ceiling. Should I use single wall or is there a 6" double
wall that will work in this situation? Manual shows 6" clearance from pipe to wall I assume they
can get way with this since the flue temps are lower with a pellet stove.

I have sooteater tool for cleaning the chimney from in the house
that I have used with my old wood stove but that had T fitting where it went into the stove and I
could clean from below the T fitting. Looking for cleaning suggestions as I'd prefer not
to clean from the roof as it has a 12/12 pitch.
Total chimney height is about 24' total with all but the last 7' being 8" triple wall.

The vertical kit for XXV has a plate on the side that come off that gives you access to flue without disassembly. Open it when it is new and never-seize the bolts. I have seen them lock up and break off. You can also run the brush up thru the fan housing when you pull the fan out to clean. I just looked at manual, says to use single wall seamless pipe not snap lock? Anybody familar with this? I have not installed a XXV with vertical termination.

The vertical kit for XXV has a plate on the side that come off that gives you access to flue without disassembly. Open it when it is new and never-seize the bolts. I have seen them lock up and break off. You can also run the brush up thru the fan housing when you pull the fan out to clean. I just looked at manual, says to use single wall seamless pipe not snap lock? Anybody familar with this? I have not installed a XXV with vertical termination.

Ok, Found the access plate and opened it. It's pretty small hole plus it jogs over before going vertical it might be ok to brush out the vertical kit but not the 6" pipe or the 8" pipe. I guess you would have to vacuum out any falling ash from inside the stove. Might have to have a section of 6" pipe to remove in order to clean the pipe above.
Curious what others do for cleaning in this situation.
Thanks

I have a clean out T to the rear of my P61. I ran horizontal vent for about 18" or so into a clean out T inside my fireplace, then went vertical 23 ft and 3 ft outside my existing chimney or so.

I haven't seen the manual for an XXV.