Installing Heatmaster G100 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rugar

Oct 12, 2008
East central KS
I'm installing in detached garage and this is my first time installing an unpressurized system. My house is pressurized and has old propane burner. I'll have to use flat plate connection obviously.

Question 1. Should I run pressure system to boiler with flat plate in the back panel or make connection in the basement of house.
Question 2. I want the ability of supplemental heat in garage but only have one set of hookups. Would think pull heat from return line somehow. Would guess flat plate to separate so I can add antifreeze to that loop. Next can that loop also serve as over run protection.

I'm installing in detached garage and this is my first time installing an unpressurized system. My house is pressurized and has old propane burner. I'll have to use flat plate connection obviously.

Question 1. Should I run pressure system to boiler with flat plate in the back panel or make connection in the basement of house.
Question 2. I want the ability of supplemental heat in garage but only have one set of hookups. Would think pull heat from return line somehow. Would guess flat plate to separate so I can add antifreeze to that loop. Next can that loop also serve as over run protection.
Hi , I have a g200 ,I have the flate plate in the house next to the gas boiler . I would split the Supply at the boiler and put valving to turn on and off the garage . Stay away from antifreeze ,not ness in this type of install .

One consideration for the flat plate location is how far is it from the barn to boiler in the basement and what size pex is underground. I have done both, the flat plate in the barn meaning the long loop underground is pressureized will allow possibly for a smaller circulator as it doesn't have to work as hard to overcome additional head pressure that is presented with a unpressurized loop. small underground pex size, large elevation differences between the barn and basement and npsh, or cavitation from high water temps all cause problems with a non pressureized loop. My recommendation would be to put the flat plate in the barn, on sure others will chime in.

Unless the house is a long way uphill from the G-100, stick with the heat exchanger in the basement of the house.
if you are using an air heater in the garage, use a second circulator and tee into both the supply and return. in the heating season when there is any chance of freezing, make sure that circulator is running, and just turn the fan on and off. don't put them in series, as you can return too cold fluid to the g-100, and get flue gas condensation.
sometimes on the g-100, we will have to tee and additional ciruclator to make a short loop for some boiler return protection, if the heating system warrants it.