Installing insert in fireplace deemed “unsafe”

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bastiaan

Oct 5, 2018
Columbus, OH
New user here but have been on the forum for quite some time and it’s great to have so much knowledge shared here. Thanks!

I’ve got a fireplace in my home which I have never used in the 3 years that I’ve owned it. The home inspector stated that the chimney had pulled away from the house. Looking into the fireplace, I see there’s a gap between the hearth and the steel lintel and also a similar gap around the sides (probably an inch or so).

If I wanted to use the fireplace as an open fireplace I would need to have the concrete slab on which the chimney sits underpinned and those above mentioned cracks sealed. I am, however, never going to be using it in that form but instead would like to add an insert. My question is, would that also require the same type of work done before being able to use a wood burning insert safely?

It’s a 1 story exterior chimney (approx 20’) so I would be using an insulated SS liner.

If this would require the chimney to be repaired prior to having the insert/liner installed I don’t think it would be worth the expense since I’m not going to use it as a primary heat source.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

New user here but have been on the forum for quite some time and it’s great to have so much knowledge shared here. Thanks!

I’ve got a fireplace in my home which I have never used in the 3 years that I’ve owned it. The home inspector stated that the chimney had pulled away from the house. Looking into the fireplace, I see there’s a gap between the hearth and the steel lintel and also a similar gap around the sides (probably an inch or so).

If I wanted to use the fireplace as an open fireplace I would need to have the concrete slab on which the chimney sits underpinned and those above mentioned cracks sealed. I am, however, never going to be using it in that form but instead would like to add an insert. My question is, would that also require the same type of work done before being able to use a wood burning insert safely?

It’s a 1 story exterior chimney (approx 20’) so I would be using an insulated SS liner.

If this would require the chimney to be repaired prior to having the insert/liner installed I don’t think it would be worth the expense since I’m not going to use it as a primary heat source.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Yes it would still need repaired

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Yes it would still need repaired
*EDIT:
Thanks for confirming that. In that case I don’t think it’ll be worth the cost.
The chimney can move and not be safe for any designed purposes, but I also think you need to find out if there is a possibility the chimney will continue to move and/or fall. Is the chimney still secured to the wall/superstructure. Does the chimney require strapping to secure it or does the chimney condition require total removal? If the chimney movement is arrested and there is no danger of the chimney falling, you still need to be concerned with water infiltration and deterior[a]tion of the building and/or the inner construction materials.

Last edited:
The chimney can move and not be safe for any designed purposes, but I also think you need to find out if there is a possibility the chimney will continue to move and/or fall. Is the chimney still secured to the wall/superstructure. Does the chimney require strapping to secure it or does the chimney condition require total removal? If the chimney movement is arrested and there is no danger of the chimney falling, you still need to be concerned with water infiltration and deterioraction of the building and/or the inner construction materials.
Well said

Reactions: VirginiaIron
*EDIT: *
The chimney can move and not be safe for any designed purposes, but I also think you need to find out if there is a possibility the chimney will continue to move and/or fall. Is the chimney still secured to the wall/superstructure. Does the chimney require strapping to secure it or does the chimney condition require total removal? If the chimney movement is arrested and there is no danger of the chimney falling, you still need to be concerned with water infiltration and deterior[a]tion of the building and/or the inner construction materials.

That is a good point. There is no water infiltration thus far and the last time I was on the roof the flashing around the chimney looked to be in order. I’ll definitely be paying close attention to that area.

In the last 3 years I have not noticed any change on the outside - they caulked between the j channel and the brick and that does not appear to have changed. I’m not really sure how much the chimney has pulled away - when looking at pictures online they do seem to be a lot worse. Would it help if I were to take some photos from the outside and perhaps some on the inside?

Thanks to you both for your helpful feedback!

That is a good point. There is no water infiltration thus far and the last time I was on the roof the flashing around the chimney looked to be in order. I’ll definitely be paying close attention to that area.

In the last 3 years I have not noticed any change on the outside - they caulked between the j channel and the brick and that does not appear to have changed. I’m not really sure how much the chimney has pulled away - when looking at pictures online they do seem to be a lot worse. Would it help if I were to take some photos from the outside and perhaps some on the inside?

Thanks to you both for your helpful feedback!

Photos always help everyone understand and learn from these things. However, IMO, in order to satisfy your obligations, you should get a structural engineer on site to give you a detailed inspection with a report of the current condition of the chimney, including any recommendations for repair or removal and/or replacement. Keep in mind that a repair/replacement may require soil modification, especially if the soil caused this problem. Roof flashing issues are most likely an immediate concern along with the tearing or separation of the vertical sealant, if applicable. Please keep us posted.