Installing insert, when fireplace refactory panels are cracked.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scoooter

Sep 9, 2010
Central Md
Will be having the Lopi Freedom insert installed, that you all have heard so much about :red: , sorry.... The installer mentioned last year when I started looking at stoves, that the existing back refractory panel is cracked (not horribly) and the side metal panels are slightly warped. Will that need to be fixed before I put the insert (mounted extended not flush) in? or does the insert block enough heat that it's ok? I can take pictures tomorrow if that would help.

Scott <-----like you didn't know who it was... :)

The most important thing is this a site built masonry fireplace or a zero clearance fireplace?

I would guess that it is a zero clearance... because it is a prefab metal. But I am not sure how to tell. But I can be sure that it wasn't built on site :)

not sure how the cracked refractory panel would make a difference. In my ZC the refractory panels do not cover the entire interior of the firebox of the ZC. There is bare metal right above the panels. I have not put the surround on my insert yet so I have checked the temps with my IR gun between the ZC inner metal and outer metal skin. The outer metal skin is barely 100ºF with the stove at 500-600º.

Not sure about the warped metal though

I am a complete novice though, but it just seems like common sense?

Thanks to all, I am still waiting to hear back from the installer as to what he wants to recommend.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.