Installing OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Connecticut Yankee

Burning Hunk
Nov 20, 2018
Connecticut
What do you folks think of this as an outside air intake for my Hudson River Chatham?
https://pellet-stove-parts-4less.com/products/2-flex-fresh-air-intake-kit-3pvp-aik

The manual says the intake vent pipe has to be 2" min. ID, but doesn't say whether it needs to be rigid, or if flex is okay. I am assuming that the square flange in the picture would go on the outside wall of the chimney, and that I would be screwing the angled plate on to it, to shelter the opening a bit. I'm also assuming that the mason who will be drilling the hole can tell me how to screw it into the brick. But what kind of sealant would be required to seal the vent to the brick? Would I apply it between the hose and the brick, or around the edges of the plate?

Then there is also the hole in the granite wall on the inside of the chimney, behind the stove. Is there some kind of flange I could buy to make it look neat and tidy? Would I need to put sealant between the flex and the granite as well, or is sealing the outside hole enough? Could I use the same caulk/mortar/whatever on both holes, or do granite and brick require different products?

Last edited:
I used one of THESE for my stove that didn't come with a kit. For the Cover outside I bought something like THIS.
Advance auto sells them in 18" and 6' lengths. $30 max

I used the same OAK that you linked in the original post on my Ashley AP5710. I just installed it a few days ago and it's working well. The flex pipe does fit as tight as you would think. I first thought that they had sent me the wrong product, but the hose clamp will crimp it down tight enough. The only other complaint is that the inside face plate was barely big enough to get around the hose and it took me about 15 minutes to move it up about 3 feet of hose.

Well, I bought six feet of 2" flexible pipe at Advance Auto, and the kit without the hose at Pellet Stove Parts 4Less, thus saving $10 off their price, and a few more bucks off the price of another on-line vendor. The mason's bill for drilling holes in the chimney will be the expensive part. I've got silicone for sealing with. And that should do it! Thanks, guys.