Installing Olympia Chimney Armor Flex liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donmac

Jun 3, 2015
Cincinnati Ohio
Ready to install a 6" X 20' stainless section of this heavy flex liner into an existing masonry chimney. When laying liner on ground if it is pulled tight from both ends, it almost measures 21'. If compress from both ends it is 20'. I need to cut off about 2' to allow connection to top of fireplace insert and have the recommended 4" stub above crown. I figure I should relax it a bit and make cutting measurements with the liner at 20'-6" .

Does this make sense or am I missing something?

Install it uncut and then cut the excess up top after installation. Lot easier than trying to put some back on if you miscalculate.

I agree with bart that is what we always do. And make sure you put it in right side up.

Thanks for the replies. I have multiple arrows drawn on liner to make sure it is in right end up after I wrap insulate it.
I asked the question so I can cut on ground and leave the proper length above crown liner stub(4") and leave the recommended 6" below crown stopping point for insulation wrap as recommended to allow for vertical expansion when heated during stove firing. 6" seems a lot to allow for expansion.
If I have to remove some mesh, the mesh clamp ring and insulation wrap to hold the 6" below crown distance and then cover with foil tape, is that a problem down the road? I won't have a lot of working room as the insulated 6" pipe is going down the old round clay tile liner with a 8 1/4" ID.
Any additional thoughts?
Thanks again

Okay, the videos don't show the labels. :)
Not all liners are directional either.

If I have to remove some mesh, the mesh clamp ring and insulation wrap to hold the 6" below crown distance and then cover with foil tape, is that a problem down the road?
You would have to lift it up a little to do that. You should pretty easily be able to figure out the lenght you need insulated. I just would hate to see you end up short.

Yes, an inch short might as well be a mile. I would follow the advice of the pros and trim it at the top once in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.