installing pellet stove in basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty8782

Dec 8, 2012
I want to put a pellet or coal stove in the basement of my recently purchased home. It was built in 1952 and has a single chimney which the oil burning furnace is piped into. There was an antique kerosene cook stove which i removed also piped into the same chimney. I was wondering if it's ok to run the exhaust from the new stove into the same hole which the old cook stove used, is it necessary to run a pipe up to the top of the chimney?
thanks,
Matt

You cannot mix them. You can use the same chimney for 2 oil/gas appliances, but never mix a wood with oil/gas in the same chimney. The fear is is some unburned exhaust from the gas/oil furnace is vented into the chimney an ember or spark from the wood stove can ignite it and start a fire.

You will need another chimney.

The installation into a flue serving another heating device will not pass the pellet stove manufacturer's installation requirements thus voiding the safety certifications and listings required by insurance companies to accept the stove for coverage.

In addition to that in most jurisdictions it is a violation of both local and state code to have more than one device connected to the same flue, regardless of type of device or fuel burned.

There are coal stoves that have power vents on them (fan on the exhaust), you wouldn't need a chimney then. And all pellet stoves are like that. You could just run the pipe out of the side of the house. No need for a full chimney.

I do not know how well the coal stoves work that are power vented, but I know they exist.

There are coal stoves that have power vents on them (fan on the exhaust), you wouldn't need a chimney then. And all pellet stoves are like that. You could just run the pipe out of the side of the house. No need for a full chimney.

I do not know how well the coal stoves work that are power vented, but I know they exist.

not a real fan of powerventers, especially in a coal environment. Lots of sulphur deposits tend to not go well with the mechanicals, causing the early demise of the unit. And powerventers arent cheap. When we used them, I dont think I saw a powerventer (and ours were stainless!), last more than 2-3 seasons.......check out how expensive they are! I'd go pellet stove. And, like a pellet stove, if the power goes out...so does your powerventer. Ever smell coal gas? Gets ya in the throat.....

As for a cellar install- not ideal- unless its living space down there. Alot of threads here concerning them.......

not a real fan of powerventers, especially in a coal environment.

I agree 100%. I am never a fan of a powervent. I was just saying they do exist but I don't like the idea of them either. If you go with coal I would build a chimney, natural draft doesn't stop if the power goes out.

I like pellet stoves, they do have pellet furnaces also, don't know much about them but I know they are out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.