Installing pellet stove using a liner in a masonry chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoverwheel

Burning Hunk
Oct 18, 2013
USA
I know. I know. But this will be on the second floor.

Relocating a US Stoves 5502 to a new location (usurped by a new 30-NC).

This will be the only device on the chimney, which happily runs past the new location for the stove. There's another maybe 25' to the roof top, top of chimney. The chimney is sound but unlined and of course too large a flue for a pellet stove. It formerly serviced a coal furnace converted to oil converted to gas.

If I just had to I could relocate it to an outside wall and dv out the side of the house but there is a nice mantle in this spot. (A hundred years or so ago there were coal parlor stoves in every room)

As I understand the liner kits, there is a clean out at the bottom, which will be located inside the chimney, halfway up it's actual, total height.

So am I supposed to put a hatch on the side of the masonry chimney to access the clean out on the liner or run the whole liner out of the chimney into the living space? I can't quite visualize the bottom end of the liner in this instance...

I guess the same question exists if it were on the first floor, but of course there is more "dead" space below the liner in this location. Maybe I can just leave the bottom cap off? (Kidding, unless that is actually the answer)

mine is piped into the existing chimney, cleanout is in the room and a 90 is in the chimney, and it's not too difficult to get a brush around the corner.

also, my T is horizontal, easy access

Hopefully, you aren't putting it in a bedroom, which is against the law.

Liners don't have t-cut outs... that should be on your stove insert itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.