Installing VC Resolute III and new flue liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cbuckbee

Nov 30, 2020
Rhode Island
Hello all -

I have a rebuilt VC Resolute III that I would like to install in my living room. Our chimney is about 20' from stove to cap and lined with terra cotta. VC recommends a 6" liner to match the 6" stove collar, but I am concerned that the liner won't make it down the chimney, as the inner diameter of the flue is 8 x 6.7". Does anyone have any experience installing liners into tight spaces? I have heard varying opinions on if it will fit, so I figured I should check with the experts. I just want to save myself the heartbreak of ordering it and then finding that it will never make it down. Thanks in advance!

Hello all -

I have a rebuilt VC Resolute III that I would like to install in my living room. Our chimney is about 20' from stove to cap and lined with terra cotta. VC recommends a 6" liner to match the 6" stove collar, but I am concerned that the liner won't make it down the chimney, as the inner diameter of the flue is 8 x 6.7". Does anyone have any experience installing liners into tight spaces? I have heard varying opinions on if it will fit, so I figured I should check with the experts. I just want to save myself the heartbreak of ordering it and then finding that it will never make it down. Thanks in advance!
I really doubt it will fit bare. And certainly won't fit with insulation like it should have

What is it that won't make it through? The tee piece? It's an interior chimney, so I didn't think it was necessary to put insulation on it.

Hello all -

I burned the same stove for over 30 years, went from stove pipe into the same sized terra cotta flue as you have, about 25 feet tall. No need for a liner, it'll draft just fine. I swept the chimney annually from the roof and never had more than a gallon or two of dry soot. But note I always burned seasoned dry wood.

I burned the same stove for over 30 years, went from stove pipe into the same sized terra cotta flue as you have, about 25 feet tall. No need for a liner, it'll draft just fine. I swept the chimney annually from the roof and never had more than a gallon or two of dry soot. But note I always burned seasoned dry wood.

Thanks for the reply. As I said above, its an interior chimney so I am a little concerned with it being surrounded by combustibles until it gets to the roof. My house was built in 1983, so it's not as though it's a very old design. I want to keep everything to code so I need to be able to get 6" in there if I'm going to go with a liner.

maybe toss a section of pipe down to see if it fits. my inside chimney was just brick. we installed an uninsulated stainless rigid liner most of the way and connected to a flex liner through the damper zone. chimney is about 20-25 ft. never had an issue. i have a cat stove, yearly pipe brushing produces a couple of cups of black dust.

btw, love the pre-EPA VC stoves, esp. the enameled ones. just make sure the wood you burn is dry, or you risk creosote build-up. pics?

Thanks for the reply. As I said above, its an interior chimney so I am a little concerned with it being surrounded by combustibles until it gets to the roof. My house was built in 1983, so it's not as though it's a very old design. I want to keep everything to code so I need to be able to get 6" in there if I'm going to go with a liner.
Without insulation you would still have exactly the same concerns about combustibles. And unless you have a 2" clearance all around the chimney insulation is required by code

i believe some chop out the terra cotta, and install insulated. gonna use this a lot, or periodically.

maybe toss a section of pipe down to see if it fits. my inside chimney was just brick. we installed an uninsulated stainless rigid liner most of the way and connected to a flex liner through the damper zone. chimney is about 20-25 ft. never had an issue. i have a cat stove, yearly pipe brushing produces a couple of cups of black dust.

Good call, I will pick up a couple feet of 6" aluminum and give it a test run. Is there any issue with using an oval liner? A 4" x 7.7 liner would probably be a better fit...

We have heat in the house, and I will probably burn it a few times a week in the winter. Thank you for the tips on the dry wood, I plan on getting some good stuff delivered. I will post some pics of the stove when I can; the guy who rebuilt it really knows his stuff.