Installing wood stove in old heatilator fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodman85

Oct 2, 2017
Hello wood burners. I'm getting ready to order my first wood burning stove. While preparing I noticed I have an old heatilator insert (not sure if there is masonry behind it). I've heard conflicting answers if I can install a insert inside of this metal. Seems Rusty, but pretty solid overall. Any suggestions? Would be too big of a job for me to rip it out especially to find no masonry behind it. Is my only option to buy a zero clearance insert? Thanks for any help

This may be a heatform. If so it is not an insert. Does it have lower intakes an upper output grilles? Is the chimney masonry or metal? If you can post a picture that might help too.

Hey begreen, it does have upper and lower vents. I believe the unit is from the mid 70's, With tile flue chimney, and outside is all masonary. Not sure whats behind metal. Also hoping chimney cracking that has begun is not problematic. The joys of my first fireplace! Here are some pictures to help!

Installing wood stove in old heatilator fireplace. Installing wood stove in old heatilator fireplace. Installing wood stove in old heatilator fireplace. Installing wood stove in old heatilator fireplace.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not 100% sure but it look like the one I have. Is your floor masonry? If so it may be a Vestal. If it is, you can put an insert in. I had a Fireplace x installed last Christmas.

It is a heatform box in a masonry structure you ansolutly can install an insert and insulated liner in there after a good cleaning.

Reactions: Ashful
Right inside the metal.