Installing Wood Stove Insert options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gavin8

Oct 7, 2018
Arkansas
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for any help.

I have a brick fireplace that doesn't get used much since it barely puts off any heat. I've been in the house 2 winters now and only put a fire in on the coldest of nights as it might take a little of the chill off in the house.

I've had the chimney sweeped last year and that gentlemen said everything looked to be in good condition. I've ready you are supposed to use a liner when having a stove installed so I called around and cannot find anyone willing to install a liner and stove at what I consider a reasonable price. The only person I found that would do was $4000 for labor plus I had to buy their over priced stove through them or they wouldn't do it.

I started researching this myself and looking at what I have. I'm willing to learn and put forth the effort.

1st - Is this a liner in there already? I tried to take a picture of the exterior of it through the vent. If this is a liner and will work, is it as simple as finding an insert that will fit and getting an adapter piece to mesh the liner and stove together??

2nd - Do I take the firebrick out if I put a stove in? I drew up current design of how much space I have, not much. I'm assuming I will have more if I take those firebricks out, they are just like a thin slab that doesn't look difficult to remove.

I tried to attach pictures so hopefully they show up correctly.

Attachments

• Fireplace.1.jpg
    Fireplace.1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Fireplace.2.jpg
    Fireplace.2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Fireplace.3.jpg
    Fireplace.3.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Fireplace.4.jpg
    Fireplace.4.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 168
  • Fireplace.5.jpg
    Fireplace.5.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Fireplace.6.jpg
    Fireplace.6.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Fireplace.7.jpg
    Fireplace.7.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 180
Looks like a ZC fireplace with a metal chimney. The mfg. name and model tag may be somewhere on the door frame.

Yes definatly a zero clearance unit. Most dont allow inserts. And yours looks like it has been used pretty hard. And i see signs of water between the walls of the chimney. It needs a cleaning and full inspection including removing the case cover to inspect inside.

I found the tag. Says Martin industries on it and has model number bc4250. It may have been used hard in the past. I think the water is probably from the cap above looking like it has seen better days.

So after researching I guess they make zero clearance fireplace insert that fit?

This isn’t my main source of heat. I would love for it to just be useful and help my furnace out on cold spells plus I think it will help my resale value.

To add to this, this is my last winter in the home as my new house is being constructed and I am having it designed for two wood stoves as the primary heat source.

So after researching I guess they make zero clearance fireplace insert that fit?

This isn’t my main source of heat. I would love for it to just be useful and help my furnace out on cold spells plus I think it will help my resale value.

To add to this, this is my last winter in the home as my new house is being constructed and I am having it designed for two wood stoves as the primary heat source.
Well i looked allot and cant find a manual for that model number. But i read 7 other martin fireplace manuals and they all specifically say do not use fireplace and chimney to vent a stove or insert. Without finding your exact manual i cant say for sure but it seems unlikely an insert is allowed in that fireplace.

Well i looked allot and cant find a manual for that model number. But i read 7 other martin fireplace manuals and they all specifically say do not use fireplace and chimney to vent a stove or insert. Without finding your exact manual i cant say for sure but it seems unlikely an insert is allowed in that fireplace.
Thanks for looking for me bholler. Last thing I want to do is make it unsafe. Are my options to remove the ZC and then add in a stove? I know a wood stove may not be safe, but is a pellet stove pretty much the same amount of danger?

Thanks for looking for me bholler. Last thing I want to do is make it unsafe. Are my options to remove the ZC and then add in a stove? I know a wood stove may not be safe, but is a pellet stove pretty much the same amount of danger?
Yes you could remove it and either replace it with a high efficiency wood fireplace. Or you could take it all out and turn the space into an alcove for a freestanding wood or pellet stove. Or you could leave it and put a stove somewhere else in the house.