installing wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnman05

Dec 29, 2013
georgia
Hello,
I am trying to find out some info on my options for installing a wood stove/heater in my home. I inherited an old Huntsman wood heater/stove when my grandfather passed away a few years ago. It is the L shaped stove with the single door and 3 vent knobs on the door. Don't know if you consider it a wood stove or a heater.
Anyway. I would like to put it in my house but the problem is my house was built in 2006 and it has one of those modern fireplace inserts in it. Are there any simple ways I can pipe this thing into my fireplace and chimney? I remember my grandfather had a piece of sheetmetal screwed over the opening of his fireplace and had the pipe from this heater going through the sheetmetal and venting into the fireplace. But he had an older house with a huge all brick fireplace and I don't know how well this would work with an insert type fireplace like mine. It worked very well for him and never smoked the house up or anything.
Any suggestions or ideas greatly appreciated

When you say it has an insert, do you mean it has a stove insert or just an object covering the fireplace? If there is a stove insert is it for wood, pellet, gas?

When you say it has an insert, do you mean it has a stove insert or just an object covering the fireplace? If there is a stove insert is it for wood, pellet, gas?

It it just a metal brick lined fireplace insert for burning wood. it is an open fireplace not a stove insert

Sounds like you have a zero-clearance fireplace, no insert. That old stove is going to need ridiculously large clearances. 36" in all directions. Is that ok?

Is the existing ZC fireplace wood or gas only or a combo unit? If wood only you may be able to put a wood insert in it that would be much safer, better looking and more efficient then grandad's stove.

Reactions: Ashful
With respect to your grandfather's memory I will not recommend you put that stove back into service. But if you do, at a minimum an insulated stainless steel liner the full length of the existing chimney and connected to the outlet of the stove is required. A 6" liner is all you will be able to drop down the 8" pipe that is likely connected to that fireplace and may not have enough cross sectional area to support the smoke output of the stove. As BG mentioned, 36" clearance in all directions is required as well.

If an efficient wood heating source is desired in place of the Z/C unit you have then an insert or change out with something along the lines of this is recommended. http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/products/fireplaces/ultima/

Status
Not open for further replies.