Installing woodstock stove in first floor heatilator fireplace or can I use the existing flue pipe t

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lkormos

Jan 20, 2008
Upstate NY
When we built the house 14 years ago we had a heatilator fireplace installed in the first floor living room and a woodstock stove installed on the basement level right below the fireplace. The stove has a separate flue pipe that is to the left side of the alcove below the fireplace. Now I want to move the stove upstairs to the living room. The chimney is not masonary. Could I somehow access the pipe that was installed for the stove instead of trying to retrofit the heatilator fireplace to accept the stove?

You should be able to get into the wall and take the lower sections of pipe off and put a Tee on instead. You will have to support the pipe somehow up above. You should check if the woodstock is even shown in the manual to vent through a ZC box because that might not even be an option.

Thanks for the advice. I think the pipe for the stove is behind the heatilator box in the back left corner of the chimney area. Can the heatilator be removed so we can get to the stove flue pipe? I would want to run the stove pipe into the fireplace area which is surounded by marble tile and not through the wall/tiled area.

Is this a prefab ZC "Heatilator" brand box made totally out of metal and refractories, or is it the heatilator style (aka heat-form) fireplace with the two grills on the bottom with fans and the grills up top where the air blows out (usually all masonry).

I found the manual for the heatilator, it's the second kind (HB36A or HB36AI or HB42A or HB42AI) with the masonry. Can I get a fitting to put the stove pipe into the heatilator pipe or does it need some kind of lining?

You cannot put the stove into the Heatilator pipe - you have to tie into the OTHER pipe, which is a different type of chimney. This must be done (as mentioned above) with a Tee fitting which might be able to be inserted. In any case, it would entail opening up the wall from either the inside, the outside or both.

Actually... does the old heatform have a clay tile flue or a metal Class A flue? What size is it?

Webmaster said:
Jtp,

she said the chimney was not masonry, and the H&G;is prefab.

So I assume we are talking about a frame chase with the H&G;and an HT chimney besides it.

Uhh... where?

it’s the second kind (HB36A or HB36AI or HB42A or HB42AI) with the masonry.

The second thing I listed was a heat-form

Now I am totally lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.