Insulate between unfinished basement and bedroom floor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tadmaz

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2017
Erin, WI
I've noticed that when my childrens' bedrooms are closed and the stove is heating the house exclusively at night, that one of the bedrooms is noticeably colder than the other by the time it's morning. Below the cold bedroom is an unfinished space with the furnace, and it stays approx 55F during the winter. Below the other bedroom is a bathroom that has insulation and drywall on the joists. Would it help at all to insulate the joists below the cold bedroom? Was thinking kraft faced R-19 with the flaps, easy to staple up. Kraft faced so the liklihood of fiberglass flying around is less. Thanks in advance!

This is not uncommon. I don't think that would make much difference. Open their doors or maybe exhaust cold from their rooms to be replaced with the stove heat?

Agreed, keeping the doors open is ideal. When children wake up it's nice if the other bedrooms are closed and the rest can stay asleep. :) I appreciate the feedback, I am skeptical if insulating below the room would help. We'll see if anyone else has any comments.

The simplest option is to put a safe, thermostatically controlled, electric heater in each room.

Another option would be to cut a 6x10 intake grille in the floor of the 2 far bedrooms and run an insulated duct from them into a Y and then a quiet inline 150-200 cfm fan with the output duct going to the stove room. This can be controlled by an air conditioning thermostat in the stove room so that it turns on the fan when the stove room temps exceed a certain temp, say 74º. For best operation, the bedroom doors should be left ajar or the bottom cut up a little (or a grille on the door, etc.) to allow airflow from the room with the doors closed.

My master bedroom and master bath are in what use to be a garage. Its colder and a complete 180 degree turn from the stove. It has its own zone but I sleep with the door open and it stays 64-66 which I actually like for sleeping. Not sure how insulated the pipes are for my bathroom but all is well after last winter when we had two straight weeks where it never got above 30 out. There is a drop hole and I've opened the bathroom floor when remodeling. Insulation is under the entire thing and the plumbing is pex below grade.