Insulate class A ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

showrguy

Minister of Fire
Aug 2, 2015
Marysville, Pa.
I have about 14' of class A going through my attic space, the 1st. 2 years of burning my King I got about a coffee cup full of medium brown fly ash, so to speak..
Last year I installed a key damper after confirming my draft was way to high on my 35' stack ( .23-.26 w/c )
I just added another key damper a month ago because one was not enough, and actually, two may not be enough ??
Any way, when I cleaned the stove a few weeks ago, I got about a full dust pan of coal black flakey stuff..
My thought is that by getting the draft somewhat under control, I'm losing stack temp, and coursing buildup/condensation that I did not have with the wild draft..
Thought's ???

A 35' chimney above a BK running at lower settings, I'm not surprised with your dustpan of black and dry debris. I too get black sweepings from the BK and on less efficient stoves get just brown light stuff.

Are you monitoring flue temperatures?

A 35' chimney above a BK running at lower settings, I'm not surprised with your dustpan of black and dry debris. I too get black sweepings from the BK and on less efficient stoves get just brown light stuff.

Are you monitoring flue temperatures?
No, I'm not monitoring flue temps, the only place that would confirm my thinking would be 30' from the stove top, and I don't think drilling a hole in my class A is a good idea..

No, I'm not monitoring flue temps, the only place that would confirm my thinking would be 30' from the stove top, and I don't think drilling a hole in my class A is a good idea..

Don't drill the class A but you could always dangle a thermocouple into the top if you want to know.

I was curious about how your flue temperatures changed with the addition of those dampers. I would expect the temperature and volume of exhaust to increase with that high draft which would be a huge hit on efficiency.

Don't drill the class A but you could always dangle a thermocouple into the top if you want to know.

I was curious about how your flue temperatures changed with the addition of those dampers. I would expect the temperature and volume of exhaust to increase with that high draft which would be a huge hit on efficiency.
The top is not so easy to access, been cleaning from bottom up..
Since adding the dampers I've not noticed any negative effects as far as performance, I'd say it's been an improvement for sure..
I searched everywhere I could think of to see if anyone else has tried this, or done this, but found nothing..
I thought @bholler, webby, ect. Might have come across a similar situation, but so far.... Crickets.... Lol

Since adding the dampers I've not noticed any negative effects as far as performance, I'd say it's been an improvement for sure..
I searched everywhere I could think of to see if anyone else has tried this, or done this, but found nothing..
I thought @bholler, webby, ect. Might have come across a similar situation, but so far.... Crickets.... Lol
You need more heat in the stack or more cleanings. My limited experience with cleaning blazekings have shown allot more creosote than most other modern stoves.

I believe ashful has the double damper deal on a bk.

My stack is just 12’ so I’ve never even measured draft!