insulate next step... walls...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think foam is ok in moderation when you've got a special application (like a rim joist or need a lot of R in a very thin space), but there are technical things that can go wrong, leading to shrinkage (and loss of performance) or offgassing odors.
I share the concern of others related to shrinkage and out-gassing of sprayed foam.
Airkrete deals with all those issues (and more)...costs about 1/3 more than standard foam...thought about doing it here...went with regular spray foam though, wouldn't do that again.
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVri6UdBYy64AJ9wnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1490076219/RO=10/RU=http://www.airkrete.com//RK=0/RS=3c4MvPyyTbWlVHSL6KZ3a7WmVig-

Shrinkage mainly...my installer had equipment issues that caused some other issues too

My house is a 1940 brick cape cod. Insulating my walls backfired on me...it actually extended my heating season. Before, my brick walls would heat up during the day and warm the house overnight...when I did the wall insulation (and low E windows) I lost all my solar gain...now I have to fire the stove up anytime the daytime temps don't get up to at least 72-75* or so.
It may be just a bit easier to heat in the depth of January...but overall, insulating was a step backwards for us...bet ya never heard that one before!

In my 1963 house they used R5, 1.5" thick, foil faced batts in the walls. Just enough insulation to get in the way of blown in products. Can these blown in products be installed with a batt in the wall or will the batt bunch up and cause blockage?

I've installed proper R-13 FG in walls that I've rebuilt from the studs but that's only about 50% of the house. Ripping sheetrock out of bedrooms doesn't sound like much fun.

Contractor at my place for estimate didn't seem to think that was going to be a problem , but then this place has to be done from the inside.

Jeeeeeeeeez so the contractor i expected to be cheapest showed up.... well, I didnt realize that to get the the walls below the windows that the vinyl siding has to be taken down... nearly the entire house siding down and then back up. The siding is fine, but a bit dated.

Point being, the estimate was 3 times what was expected. Its not like i have a big house or anything, and only one side is two stories (split level). Anyways, I have at least one more contractor showing up. but at this cost, the return on investment would be forever in a day... i guess if i was burning oil it would be better, but burning wood... nope... the economy isnt there yet.... lets see what other options we have... pretty disappointed.

Reactions: Ashful
Yes, I believe you on the ROI calculations. But don't forget to include some return for comfort, if that's a factor.

But don't forget to include some return for comfort, if that's a factor.

Like there is another reason to burn wood? Same temp in the place with or without wood. But with wood, it is warm. Can't explain it.

Reactions: Ashful and Highbeam